Antebellum earns keep on latest album

On Jan. 11, 2009, Lady Antebellum stepped into their studio to begin recording on their third album, “Own the Night.”

The group had around 50 songs from other songwriters, including their own, to choose from for their upcoming album.

Now that Lady Antebellum’s album is out, it is breaking new ground.

The trio delivers imaginative lyrics and contagious melodies that made Dave Haywood, Hillary Scott and Charles Kelley all country stars since 2006.

Lady Antebellum’s previous album, “Need You Now,” captured loneliness and desperate love.

Lady Antebellum turned their theme around for “Own the Night” by amplifying about moments when love seems perfect.

“Own the Night” opens up like a rollercoaster ride. It provides Kelley with another chance to show off his leading vocal tones with Scott to create balanced soothing harmonies.

A handful of listed songs on the album would not have recorded as well as they did if it weren’t for the singers’ powerful voices and creativity.

“Wanted You More” and “As You Turn Away” were produced with flat spots when Lady Antebellum stretches a note longer than one to three seconds.

“Dance Away with My Heart” rewinds in time as “You went off to college at the end of summer” in a kind of way and pulls you back wishing you will always be 18.

This is the core of the song and the concept of owning the night, a theme throughout the album.

Other songs such as “Cold as Stone” bring emotional performances and effective orchestration to the listener.

This song could be the album’s highlight as the lyrics and melody of the track could leave the listener cold as stone.

Kelley and Scott’s collaboration create a magical moment with Titanic-like flutes in the background.

In the past, Lady Antebellum has had some criticism for sounding, “pop,” but the group added some fun and funky music to “Own the Night.”

“We Owned the Night” and “Singing Me Home” are examples of songs that may have some crossover success in the future.

“Friday Night” was produced with a new direction as well — guitar riff sounds borrowed from one of Pat Benatar’s famous songs.

“World” is a track that summarizes every song before it. One could listen to this track and understand the entire album.

With a flawless ballad, the trio sings in their chorus, “Love is the heart of the world.”

The highlights of “Own the Night” are spread evenly throughout the entire album. “Love I’ve Found in You” and “Heart of the World” include up-tempo rock that rides along the fiddle breaks.

Lady Antebellum’s “Own the Night” supplies the listener with artistic and commercial pieces.

The rhythmic album allows the listener to engage with the clever melody and sing-along with the lyrics.

COURTNEY HERZING