Gannon welcomes new president

For the first in a decade, freshman will have no recollection of former Gannon University President Antoine M. Garibaldi, Ph.D.

The job now belongs to Dr. Keith Taylor, who started his term July 1 after relieving Dr. Phil Kelly from his duties as intern president.

“Gannon University is a special place with exceptional and dynamic students, faculty and staff,” said Taylor after he was selected for the position in May.  “I’m excited about leading this great university into the future.”

Taylor, who served as provost and vice president of academic affairs after arriving at Gannon from Daemen College in 2004, said he hopes his tenure as president will be marked with continual improvement around campus.

“I’d really like to see plans turn into action and action turned into success,” said Taylor,

47.  “It’s going to be a great however many years.”

Taylor was selected as the university’s president after a nationwide search proved that Gannon’s best choice was close to home.

A 15-person board of trustees unanimously approved the selection from the search committee on May 16.

Since his move to Erie seven years ago, Taylor has taken an active in the community.

He has served as a board member of the Boys & Girls Club while playing an important role in the university’s efforts in community development through the Erie-GAINS (Gannon Alliances to Improve Neighborhood Sustainability) program.

“Everything we do needs to have a purpose that’s beyond ourselves, whether it be working with a non-profit in Erie, or supporting a parish in Mexico,” he said.

“It’s hard not to see how Gannon’s Catholic tradition should not be in service for others.”

ZACK MCDERMOTT