Jocks vs. Docs charity softball game rounds out year for athletes

Just because the athletic teams’ calendar is slowing down in the final stretch of the year, it doesn’t mean the players are doing the same.

In one last hoorah for the spring semester, athletes representing a multitude of sports across campus gear up to take on their professors as both groups lace up the cleats in the second annual Jocks vs. Docs softball game 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Gannon University Field.

All proceeds from the event will benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation. Last year, the event raised $300.

The matchup on the diamond serves as the second time this year the Student Athlete Advisory Committee has held a competition between staff and students for the foundation.

In March, the Jocks vs. Docs volleyball game brought the SAAC’s total contribution to more than $500 for the year. 

The Jocks roster will boast Gannon Knight notables like junior women’s volleyball player Alex DelPiombo, men’s basketball point guard Steve Piotrowicz, junior wrestler Jose Matos and senior football player Michael Schnell.

Diamond regulars Lou Downey, Eric Bradley and Katie Killian will manage the jocks club.

The Jocks roster won’t do much to frighten the docs as the professors look to bring their own mix of youth and experience to the field.

Assistant Professor of History Jeff Bloodworth, the Rev. Jason Glover as well as Assistant Director of Athletics Media Relations and former Hillsdale College softball player Katie Botsis highlight a Docs team of 15 players.

As the softball game serves to underline the players’ skill, the Gannon University athletic department looks to honor the teams with the presentation of the Knight Cup.

The Cup, which is also in its sophomore season, is a way to measure a team’s commitment to academics, school spirit and community. Last year the women’s basketball team won the award.

The award will be presented to the Gannon University football team as its community service – which ranked near the top of all clubs and organizations on campus – was enough to overcome the competition.

The football team, which narrowly defeated the women’s soccer team, split up into groups and held a mini-Knight Cup to encourage participation.

Even though not all of the 18 team sports could come away with the Cup, some made their mark in specific areas.

The men’s and women’s cross country teams topped the field in academic excellence while the wrestling team won the “big game events” category – at least five wrestlers would attend sporting event throughout the year.

The Knight Cup will be awarded to the football team during the athletic department banquet 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Yehl Ballroom.

ZACK MCDERMOTT