Local organizations come together to help high schoolers

The Council for Opportunity in Education (COE) and the GE Foundation announced the launch of GO College – Erie, a college-access program, at three Erie School District high schools through a $24 million grant. Through the program, students will receive college access services to help them apply, do well in and graduate from college. GO College – Erie is a five-year project funded through a $20 million U.S. Department of Education grant and a $4 million contribution from the GE Foundation.

In order to provide these services to students, three local organizations have come forward to partner with the high schools. Gannon University, the Greater Erie Community Action Committee (GECAC) and the Northwest Tri-County Intermediate Unit 5 (IU5) are working with the schools to make it easier for students and their families to prepare for and gain the resources to go to college. 

A variety of activities from college fairs, to workshops on financial aid, to individual counseling will be available to all students at Central Tech, East, and Strong Vincent High Schools. College Coaches, made available through GO College – Erie, will work at each school to engage small groups of students in “learning communities” that will focus on structured career, academic and college counseling to make them college ready by graduation.

-from staff reports