International Night marks 22nd year

The International Student Office and the International Student Association will host the 22nd annual International Night Saturday.

International Night, an annual tradition at Gannon University, showcases the campus’s diversity through a night of live performances, food and music.

At least 11 different countries will be represented from students all across the globe. Alexis Nunez, the former president of the ISA and someone who is heavily involved with the event, said the countries expected to be represented will include China, the Netherlands, France, Peru, Turkey, Panama, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Jamaica, Africa, Korea and more.

Nunez said preparing for this event takes a considerable amount of time.

“Usually we start preparing about one to two months before the month of March,” the junior biology/pre-med major said. She added that she and others always have to make sure that they have an adequate amount of money in order to help out students who are cooking for the event.

“We give students about a maximum $100 cash advance or reimbursement in order to help them for the preparation of their country’s food,” she said.

Nunez said she and others work to promote this event so that international students will participate.

“In preparing for the event, we all work together to put up PR, sell tickets, and encourage people to either perform or cook for the event to represent their country with pride to not only the Gannon community but the outside community as well,” she said.

For this year’s event, Nunez said much of the event’s tradition has been preserved.

“We like to keep International Night within the tradition we have always had it – tons of food, good music, and cultural performances,” she said.

“Each year we are always surprised to see what the students come up with in regards to performances and which countries will display their cooking,” she said. “Every year is new.”

One of the performances will be delivered by sophomore international business major Rose Nguyen. She, along with two other people, will be dancing to a pop song called “Sorry, Sorry” by South Korean boy band Super Junior. Additionally, she will be serving spring rolls for the Vietnamese table.

This is Nguyen’s second year participating in International Night. She said that the event is a great way to be exposed to different cultures and food.

“It is a great event in which you get to see different performances and dances,” she said. “You can also get to see the different cultures that this university has.”

Nunez said the main purpose of this event is to bring people together.

“I think we all can agree that the best way to learn about another person’s culture is by sharing good food and good music.”

International Night has answered the question of how the student body can bridge the gap of diversity within a small institutional setting, she said.

“Since my time at Gannon, this is the only event that I have seen that hosts a multitude of colors and brings hundreds of people together,” Nunez said. “Every year the goal has been reached and I can’t wait to see how much bigger and better International Night can be. It’s an honor to be part of this event.”

Tickets for the event are currently available at the Waldron Campus Center information desk and at the ISO in the Zurn Science building. Students with an ID and kids aged 13-18 pay $5 for admission. Adults pay $15, senior citizens and military members pay $10 and kids 12 and under get in free. Doors open at 6 p.m. and performances start at 7:30.

JACOB TARR