Checking off a Final Season with Gannon’s Hockey Club President

Facebook
Gannon University’s Hockey Club surrounded by teddy bears after game against Penn State Behrend on December 8th, 2023, for toy drive teddy bear toss.

Erie Pa., — Despite the overwhelming participation for hockey at Gannon University, it is not a collegiate recognized sport, despite playing against other NCAA collegiate teams. Senior double major in Marketing and Sports Management Marketing and President of the Hockey Club, Aiden Hicks talks about why this is.  

Gannon University’s hockey team exists to give students the opportunity to play hockey at an organized and competitive collegiate level without being NCAA affiliated. The seasons span from early-September to mid-February. Practices are held twice weekly, and games are played on Fridays and Saturdays (EngageU). 

The Gannon University Hockey Club is affiliated with the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA), but their stats and standings go into the Upstate New York College Hockey League (UNYCHL), while competing against other Division 3 teams.  

Bryce Dolak, Senior Digital Media major, mentions that the Gannon Hockey Club plays at the Erie Insurance Arena, which is home of the Erie Otters.  

Trevor Kubeja. Senior Journalism Communication major has brought the attention to being a club sport means there is a pay to play basis, rather than a scholarship basis. He also mentions that a major reason as to why the Hockey Club is not NCAA affiliated is due to the lack of having a rink on campus. 

Gannon’s Hockey Club plays against NCAA affiliated teams in the same division such as Penn State Behrend, Mercyhurst, Fredonia and Alleghany College. When Gannon faces these teams, it does not go against or for their stats.  

Despite having a less than great season this year, the team’s morale remains high. As a group of determined and talented players, there is no doubt there will be a turnaround to win the league next season.  

With no association with the NCAA, recruiting new members can be more difficult since there is no authority and power like there is with a collegiate sport. Hicks makes mention that the Hockey Club is becoming more recognized on campus and throughout the community. There has been a new implementation of an Instagram account for the team, a new coach and recruiting day.  

Recruiting day will occur on April 14th and will include a campus tour, Q&A, and a team skate, as well as a provided lunch.  

This past season the Hockey Club participated in their first Teddy Bear Toss which created more attention and engagement from the Gannon community and is the most memorable event for Hicks.  

Overall, Hicks has no worries about the team growing.  

Hicks has been playing hockey since he was three years old and has played at the highest level up until draft year. He had to take a hiatus from playing before picking it back up at Gannon.  

As a senior, Hicks must think about what to do after graduation. He plans to work at Five Iron Golf as a Floor/Marketing Manager and would love to continue playing after graduation. Having a full-time job, he anticipates some troubles with this but believes himself to be ready to start his beer league.  

As President of the hockey club, Hicks says that the most important thing to remember is all of the great memories and friendships that have been made throughout the years and plans to continue these lifelong friendships.  

Hicks feels incredibly grateful for being able to play this passion sport with friends, while acquiring a bachelor’s degree.  

Hicks has provided a special shoutout to Jason Glover who has put a significant amount of effort into the team that fails to go unnoticed. As well as AJ Bailey and the guys on the team who have been nothing but loyal to the team and one another.  

When asked if there is a quote that resonates with Hicks, he replied with the famous Wayne Gretzky quote; “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” This quote can not only be associated with hockey, but life in general, which makes it a well profound quote that can help many.  

If interested in joining the hockey club, go to EngageU or reach out to Jason Glover at [email protected]. There are different ways to be a part of the team, there are opportunities to join the team directly, assisting the team or having an office position. It is encouraged to attend the informational meeting on April 14th from 10am-4pm. The schedule for the day is as follows:  

10-12: Campus tour  

12-1: Q&A with the coach  

1-4: Skate with the team 

Lunch will be provided.  

Again, if interested in being part of Gannon’s hockey club, contact Jason Glover who can assist with the next steps.