The Jefferson Education Society Kicks off their Winter 2024 Lecture Series in February

February 2, 2024/midnight

Erie Pa., –The Jefferson Education Society (JES) will begin their Winter 2024 season with guest lecturer Joyce White on February 5.

White is a culinary historian, author, and history museum consultant. Her expertise will be displayed during a lecture entitled “A Taste of History: Chocolate through Time.”

The lecture will be a part of the Hagen History Center’s Lecture Series that will span across five county-wide sites. This event is free, open to the public, and includes a chocolate-themed reception at 6 p.m.

White will be discussing the ancient beginnings of chocolate in Meso-America and continue through to modern day. Her lecture will include the cultural value of chocolate and how machines have altered the process and product.

The JES president, Dr. Ferki Ferati, said that “[They] are thrilled to kick off 2024 with the continuation of strong partnerships, introduc[tion] of a new course, and continu[ing] our programming across six locations.”

Corry Higher Education Council, Erie Center for Arts and Technology in East Erie, Lincoln Community Library in Fairview, Harbor Creek Township building, and PennWest College in Edinboro are six of the new locations for the planned programming.

The current lineup for this winter has 30 programs that include 18 presentations and two courses at the Jefferson Education Society and 12 programs spread throughout the county.

Also new to the JES Programming in 2024 is a partnership with Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM). This new partnership will sponsor a year-long series that focuses on behavioral and mental health.

On February 12, Dr. Danielle Hansen from LECOM will present “Care. Community. Compassion: LECOM Behavior Health” to start the series.

Hansen is a LECOM professor of internal medicine and holds the title of Vice President of Behavioral Health at Millcreek Community Hospital.

For those who would like to attend events with JES and the Hagen History Center they request that individuals register on the JES website. Many of these events are open to the public and free.

Below Find the February Schedule of Events

Tuesday, Feb. 6, 7 to 8:30 p.m.- “A Taste of History: Chocolate through Time” with Joyce White, M.A., Culinary Historian and Consultant. Term kick-off reception 6:00 to 7:00pm – Hagen History Center Lecture Series Visiting Speaker (Free)

Wednesday, Feb. 7, 7 to 8:30pm – “Our Native North American Neighbors: Echoes of the Eriez” with David Frew, Ph.D., JES Scholar-in-Residence

Thursday, Feb. 8, 6 to 7:30 p.m. – “Raising the Next Generation: Examining Childcare” with Members of the JCLA Cohort presenting during the JES Civic Leadership Academy Graduation (Free)

Friday, Feb. 9, Noon to 1:30 p.m. – “From Gray to Green: Exploring and Comparing German US Models of Economic Transition,” with Ben Speggen, M.A., JES Vice President – Community Conversation (Free)

Tuesday. Feb.12, 7 to 8:30 p.m. – “Care. Compassion. Community. LECOM Behavioral Health” with Danielle Hansen, D.O., LECOM Professor of Internal Medicine – Lecture Series in Partnership with LECOM (Free)

Tuesday, Feb. 13, 7-8:30 p.m. – “Another Devastating ‘War’ in Gaza: Are We Any Closer to a Solution to the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict?” with Baher Ghosheh, Ph.D., JES Scholar-in-Residence and Chair, JES Board of Trustees

Friday, Feb. 16, Noon to 1:30 p.m. – “Tackling Erie’s Childcare Crisis – Early Childcare Investment Policy Initiative” with Court Gould, M.P.A., and ECIPI Policy Experts – Community Conversation (Free)

Tuesday, Feb. 20, 7 to 8:30 p.m. – “A Celestial Treat: A Total Solar Eclipse Coming to Erie!” with Darren Williams, Ph.D., Astronomy Professor, Penn State Behrend

Thursday, Feb. 22, 7 to 8:30 p.m. – “A History of the US’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities” with Johnny Johnson, M.Ed., JES Scholar-in-Residence

Friday, Feb. 23rd Noon to 1:30 p.m. – “Blue Coats: How a Grassroots Organization is Leading Erie’s Anti-Violence Movement” with Daryl “Brother D” Craig, Sr., Founder & Executive Director of Creative Community Connectors Ministry – Community Conversation (Free)

Wednesday, Feb. 28, 7 to 8:30 p.m. – “Two years of Russian War in Ukraine” with Lena Surzhko-Harned, Ph.D., Political Science Professor, Penn State Behrend