New Title IX Coordinating Director Announced

Charlize Harding, News Editor

Erie, Pa, March 30, 2023 — Joseph Primiano has recently been named the new Title IX coordinating director of Gannon University with a primary focus as the director of the Office of Student Accountability and Prevention Education.

Before joining Gannon University, Primiano worked as a Civil Rights investigator at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. It was there that he implemented and designed different training programs such as; trainings on Title IX, Title VII, the ADA and Conducting Workplace Investigations.

Title IX is the federal civil rights law that was set in place as a part of the Education Amendments of 1972.

What Title IX does is prohibits sex-based discrimination in any educational setting that receives funding from the government.

On Gannon University’s website they say, “sex discrimination violates the basic right of each individual to be treated as a person worthy of respect and is in direct contradiction to the University’s Mission,” (Gannon.edu).

Gannon University does not discriminate on the base of race, color, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any prohibited discriminations.

This all falls under the means of Title IX.

Primiano oversees the campus-wide plan to reduce sexual assault in all forms, providing supervision over the deputy Title IX officers and any investigations.

Any questions can be directed to Joseph Primiano:

Joseph Primiano
Office Location: Beyer Hall, Room 306
Phone: (814) 871-7224

For any further inquiries regarding Title IX please contact:

Office for Civil Rights, Philadelphia Office U.S. Department of Education, The Wanamaker Building
100 Penn Square East, Suite 515
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3323;
Phone: (215) 656-8541