Exploring Erie during the Winter

Sophia Raetz, Staff Writer

Erie, Pa, February 1, 2023 — With a decline in available Vitamin D during winter months, it is important for college students to get active and avoid seasonal dreariness. Luckily, there are opportunities around Erie — allowing people to get out and explore the community! Gannon’s place in the middle of downtown Erie affords a host of opportunities for students to visit some of the city’s many unique small businesses.

The Purrista Cat café, located at 30 West 8th Street, offers delicious food and drink options while hosting a company of potential fur-friends. The café charges $10 for a half hour visit — and $15 for an hour, with an array of friendly cats. I’ve visited the café many times  and can confirm that it offers a relaxing break from busy schedules (especially if you’re missing pets from home). The café is a five-minute walk from Gannon’s main campus. It’s a great spot to check out and avoid winter weather.

In the world of winter sports, attending an Erie Otters ice hockey game is a fun for a night out. The Otters’ 2022-2023 season continues into late March, so there is plenty of opportunity to catch a game. The team has a record of 31 wins and 9 losses for the current season. There’s nothing like the fast-paced excitement of watching an ice hockey game in person and a must-see for hockey fans. The Otters play at home at  The Erie Insurance Arena, at 809 French Street. Tickets range from $15-$20.

If you’re interested in wintery activities, Peek n Peak Resort offers a variety of thrilling outdoor adventures. Visitors can rent ski and snowboard equipment. They receive a pass that allows them to use chairlifts during their stay. Peek n Peak offers slopes ranging from beginner skill level to expert, so anyone interested in picking up skiing or snowboarding should give it a try! Tickets are also available for snow-tubing. The resort is located 40 mins away in Chautauqua, New York.