Rove speaks at Global Summit

Nicolas Bell, Staff Writer

Over the next four weeks, the Jefferson Educational Society, Gannon University and Cathedral Prep will host and organize the Global Summit.  Speakers from around the nation and globe will lecture on diverse topics ranging from politics in America to cryptocurrency and its future in a digital landscape.  

These events are part of a concerted effort to bring not only plurality of opinion to Erie and its community, but also to allow students and other community members to learn about and discuss different themes.  

The presentations are free for Gannon students and staff, presenting a unique opportunity for Gannon community members that wish to participate. Many presentations are also being held in Yehl Ballroom, making them more accessible to students that live on campus.  

Karl Rove, writer, political commentator and former deputy chief of staff and senior advisor to President George W. Bush, opened the series. Rove oversaw the Offices of Strategic Initiatives, Political Affairs, Public Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs during his time at the White House and has been called the ‘architect’ of Bush’s 2000 and 2004 campaigns.  

During his talk, Rove addressed many topics, relevant both in the past and present. Rove began by narrating his experiences working for the Bush family and spoke to the character of George W. Bush, who he holds in high regards. He also holds gratitude not only to the family but to the government in general since they gave him the opportunity to make his mark on history and the course of the nation.  

Rove also admitted that though times may seem dark, history has been filled with worse periods when it comes to instability in the nation. He also remarked on gilded age politics and its problematic characteristics and drew the connection between gilded age politics and our time. 

Rove also addressed the senate race in Pennsylvania and made remarks highlighting the importance of Pennsylvania for both parties. He also spoke on Mehmet Oz, Pennsylvania’s Republican candidate for Senate, and the importance of finding his own identity and place in the GOP as the key to the future of his career.  

Rove also said even though he was pro-second amendment, he fully supported bipartisan efforts like the bill that would guarantee the strengthening and reinforcement of red flag laws and background check led by Senators Chris Coons (D-Del) and John Cornyn (R-Texas).  

To finalize his talk, Rove reiterated the importance of his relationship with Bush and described his rise to politics in service of the White House. The ways he described the family and his experiences with them were heartwarming and humanized the sometimes unpersonal perception that the public has of political figures.