Progress Report: April 7 – April 26

Michael Guido, Sports Editor

Women’s golf: The women’s golf team won its third consecutive PSAC Championship, adding to the total of six team titles, the most in PSAC history.
The Knights won by 42 strokes with rival Mercyhurst in a distant second.
All five Gannon golfers were in the top 10, including sophomore Sarah White, who won the individual crown after a strong showing on the third day.
With the win, the Knights received an automatic spot in the NCAA Atlantic/East Regional at the Shoal Creek Golf Course, which will be held in Kansas City, Mo., between Monday and Wednesday.

Softball (18-12): The Knights split a doubleheader with PSAC-rival California (Pa.) Monday.
Despite putting up 12 hits, the Knights struggled on the basepaths, scoring only two while stranding five in scoring position en route to a 7-2 loss.
However, the Knights rebounded in the second game, winning 5-2 on the heels of a strong outing from senior Rebecca Tatone, who held the Vulcans to just two runs.
In addition, Tatone struck out five batters and improved to 7-3 on the season.
Over the course of the second game, the Knights tallied 11 hits, with four players contributing the most to the winning effort.
Sophomore Jules Ryan was 2-for-3 while graduate student Kristina DeMatteis, sophomore Lindsay Schmidt and junior Lauryn Rougeux all went 2-for-4.
The Knights will finish out the regular season with a doubleheader at crosstown rival Mercyhurst Friday before traveling to Lock Haven for a doubleheader Saturday.
The PSAC Championships will be Wednesday to Saturday.

Women’s water polo (10-14): The Knights ended their season on a high note, defeating rival Mercyhurst 11-8 to win seventh-place at the WWPA Championships Sunday.
This was Gannon’s third win of the year over the Lakers and was the closest compared to previous matches.
The game took on added meaning in the closing seconds, as head coach Shane Unger made it a priority to install all his seniors with 39 seconds remaining,
Senior Nicole Wiemken was named to the WWPA All-Tournament second team after scoring four goals on Sunday.
Wiemken, who in addition to scoring 13 goals in four games, finished her career with 191 goals and 90 career assists.
Wiemken finishes seventh all-time in goals scored, which is just one goal shy of sixth place and sixth in career assists.

MICHAEL GUIDO