Freshman takes lead in upcoming show

Freshman Matt Kridel does not look capable of beating someone unconscious.

However, this does describe Jake, the character Kridel will portray when Gannon University’s production of Sam Shepard’s “A Lie of the Mind” opens 8 p.m. Thursday.

Kridel, a pre-med major, said he is thankful to be part of the theater community.

He said theater was a major part of his decision to leave his hometown of Wooster, Ohio, and come to Gannon.

It has always been part of his life, and he hopes to continue throughout the next three years.

Kridel is no stranger to dramatic pieces and performing in front of an audience.

In addition to performing in plays on his high school’s stage, he has also appeared in Gannon’s production of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” as Puck, an impish sprite.

But Jake is a much different character.

“Jake is human,” Kridel said. “He looks like this evil heartless person, but in reality, he has just as much love and conversely hatred as anyone else.”

He said the raw and emotional nature of this work provides the Gannon community with a great example of modern theater.

It’s a definite change from other shows he has been a part of in the past.

Junior mathematics major and fellow cast member Patrick Chounet said Kridel is a talented actor.

“He has done a great job in this show and this role really showcases his talent,” he said. “Plus, he’s just an all-around fun person.”

Performances for “A Lie of the Mind” are 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, Feb. 17 through 19 and 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 20. Tickets are free with a valid Gannon I.D. Call the box office at 814-871-7494 to reserve a seat.

SARAH SGRO