Singing valentines spice up traditional presents

Valentine’s Day, celebrated on Feb. 14 every year, is typically filled with candy, flowers, romantic dinners and now, singing valentines.

This year, thanks to Gannon University’s honorary theater fraternity, Alpha Psi Omega, and Gannon University’s choir class, students can purchase a singing valentine to be sung to a special person of their choice. 

At various times throughout Valentine’s Day, a group of singers will visit the loved one, read a personalized message and perform a song from a selection of love songs including: “I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You,” “You’re Still the One,” “Signed, Sealed, Delivered,” “Endless Love,” “Love Me Tender” and “You’re the One That I Want.”

The valentines are priced at $5 if located on Gannon’s campus and $10 for off-campus locations.

The groups of students performing the songs will travel as far east to East Avenue,  west to Pittsburgh Avenue, north to Lake Shore Drive and south to 38th Street.

Clarissa Schneider, a junior communication arts major, is a fan of creative Valentine’s Day gift ideas.

“It’s a unique idea,” she said. “Not many people do sweet things anymore to remind their loved ones how special they are – singing valentines do that.”

The singing valentines are part of the fundraising efforts of Gannon’s theater department, which will travel to Edinburgh, Scotland, for the 2011 International Collegiate Theatre Festival.

The students going on the trip will travel to the festival this August and will have the opportunity to take part in the Edinburgh Fringe Arts Festival, a three-week arts festival that showcases the talents of more than 1,000 performing companies from all over the world.

The festival is considered the largest of its kind in the world, and Gannon is one of only a few educational institutions invited to attend.

Patrick Chounet, a junior mathematics major, said he thinks the idea benefits both those looking to send a little love on Valentine’s Day and those going on the trip.

“I think students should support the fundraiser because it’s a good way to show support for the actors who are traveling to Scotland for the festival,” he said. “Besides, it’s a nice, easy gift to give.”

Students can purchase the singing valentines all week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Waldron Campus Center. They can also contact the theatre department at (814) 871-7493 or Roberta Stoughton, director of Gannon’s choir, at [email protected].

CARLY LYONS