Progress report for Gannon sports: Sept. 8 – Sept. 21

Michael Guido, Managing & Sports Editor

Football (1-2): Gannon got off to a quick start, winning its first game of the season 28-21 in overtime against Northwood, on a speedy score from quarterback Kory Curtis to wide receiver Sam East.

The Knights followed that up with a tough 56-26 loss in their home opener against 13th-ranked Shepherd, failing to get much going.

Last week saw a heartbreaking loss to Bloomsburg, 31-27, on the last play of the game.

The Knights will return home to McConnell Family Stadium for Homecoming weekend to face Clarion at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Women’s volleyball (10-2): Gannon continued its winning ways, having swept the Clarion Tournament while taking three out of four in the Francis Marion Tournament.

The Clarion Tournament featured the skillful play of senior Lauren Sampson, who recorded 14 kills in game one.

Game two saw the exciting performance by sophomore Madde Blake, who had 14 kills, two blocks and two aces in game two.

Despite losing to 19th-ranked West Florida in the Francis Marion Tournament, the excellent play of Sampson continued, who between matchups with West Florida and Francis Merion had 37 kills, two aces and three blocks.

Senior Ashley McClung also turned in solid performances during the FM tournament, combining for 42 kills.

The Knights will return home to the Hammermill Center at 2 p.m. Saturday against Seton Hill.

Men’s water polo (2-3): Gannon got back in the win column with a victory over Mount St. Mary’s 13-11 Sept. 11.

Senior Drago Marjanovic was the face of the game, compiling a team-high three goals, one assist and three steals.

Other players for the Knights who got on the scoreboard include sophomore Dylan Schmitzerle, seniors Robert Bolmasnki and Tony Squeglia and junior Vlad Mickic.

The Knights will return home to face Salem at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the Hallman Aquatics Center.

Athlete awards & recognitions: Sophomores Sarah White of the women’s golf team and Connor Bennink of the men’s golf team were named Gannon student-athletes of the week for week three.

White was instrumental in leading the women’s team to a pair of top three finishes at the Merychurst Invitational and the Michael Corbett Fall Classic.

Bennink achieved a pair of top-10 finishes, shooting a 71, which was the second-lowest round Saturday.

MICHAEL GUIDO