University prepares events for Black History Month celebration

Gannon University is planning a variety of events, including a documentary viewing and a lecture, to celebrate Black History Month.

The university will show the documentary “Soundtrack for a Revolution” at 7 p.m. Thursday in Room 104 of the Zurn Science Center. After the showing, Ann M. Bomberger, Ph.D., assistant professor of English, will speak in front of the crowd to discuss the film. She teaches African American literature, composition and civic engagement.

Written and directed by Bill Guttentag and Dan Sturman, the 2009 documentary has garnered mostly positive feedback from critics.

According to the film’s website, it “tells the story of the civil rights movement through its powerful music — the songs that freedom protesters sang on picket lines, in mass meetings, in paddy wagons and in jail cells as they fought for justice and equality.”

Gannon will also host a lecture by Elon James White to go along with this month’s celebration of African American culture. White is host of the award-winning web series “This Week in Blackness.”

The lecture, titled “This Life in Blackness,” is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 24 in Room 104 of the Zurn Science Center.

The lecture is also free and open to the public. It is being sponsored by the Gannon University Activities Programming Board (APB).

Nicole Dohoda, a senior theater and communications arts major, said she thinks there is a definite interest for Black History Month from a certain group of people.

“For example, at the theater, they’ll be producing ‘For Colored Girls’ in March, and while I’m not sure if that’s something specifically included in the Black History Month events, it’s rich in both culture and literary history,” she said. “It brings an important message to people who enjoy theater – and others.”

Gannon will also be hosting a Gathering in Praise at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 17 in the Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel.

Susan Haarman, associate directory of Campus Ministry, said that Minority Cultures United’s tradition of partnering with Campus Ministry to host the Gathering in Praise celebration of diversity is a wonderful collaboration.

“More importantly, it highlights the need of the Christian community to celebrate diversity in its worship and congregations,” she said. “As people of faith, we are called to build the kingdom of God – and even a cursory glance at the Gospels shows that the Kingdom is, indeed, rich with diversity.”

JACOB TARR

Editor-in-chief Abby Badach contributed to this story.