Seniors ready annual gift for university

As seniors get ready for graduation within the next three months, they can elect to pay tribute to the university by giving their annual senior gift.

Taylor Corn, the senior class representative for the Student Government Association, said this is an annual function that is managed through the senior class of SGA.

The senior gift has ranged from scholarships to art pieces and is different every year, he said.

The gift is also dependent on a lot on the amount of money raised, the mechanical engineering major said.

“There are a few means by which the senior class raises money: the now-annual pizza competition, a letter in the process of being sent to every senior classmate and a T-shirt sale at the end of the semester,” he said.

For other fundraising purposes, Corn also said that there could be the possibility of a “spring fling” dance for this year. However, he said the viability of that is being determined.

Corn said this year SGA has chosen to pursue something that others have tried and failed in the past to obtain – a painting or banner placed on the wall on A.J.’s Way.

“We have finally gotten approval to move forward with the project and are quoting it with one local company currently,” he said.

If that falls, though, he said they are thinking of something along the lines of artwork to fill the bare newly renovated walls of Palumbo.

He said that every senior will receive a letter from him and the alumni office detailing the plan for the senior gift. In addition, he also said the letter will address the fact that seniors will have an opportunity to donate.

Corn said he and SGA are working on getting the pizza competition more exposure.

“We are going to be reaching out to everyone on Facebook and with promotions on campus for the pizza competition, set to be the day before advising day later this semester, and anything else that is going on,” he said. “The group has been created and is going to go public as soon as we have the firmest details on the events.”

As opposed to the senior class giving their annual gift to the university, Gannon itself has in a sense returned the favor to some students.

Deadria Clarke, who is one of those students, said Gannon has served her well as a student for the past four years.

“I participated in service, recreational and service activities which taught me how to be a well-rounded student,” the senior respiratory therapy major said.

“Being involved has also taught me how to deal with different people in different situations which is a good life lesson because you never know who you or what you will encounter.”

JACOB TARR