Gannon appoints new dean of student developement and engagement

Madeline Bruce, Editor-in-Chief

Gannon University announced Thursday the appointment of Paul C. Perrine as the new dean of student development and engagement.

Perrine hails from Asheville, N.C., where he was the vice president for student life and Title IX coordinator at Warren Wilson College for ten years. During that time, he created and strengthened student-facing departments by leading the creation of campus diversity, equity and inclusion offices, as well as collaborating with efforts for student faith and well-being.

Throughout the pandemic, he led Warren Wilson College’s COVID-19 task force, which was able to create safety protocols that led to the campus’ successful reopening amid the ongoing pandemic.

Prior to his role at Warren Wilson College, he earned his undergraduate degree in psychology from Wheeling Jesuit College and his master’s degree in higher education from Geneva College. He also completed coursework at the University of Pittsburgh in administration and policy studies, as well as higher education management. He has roots in Cleveland and Western Pennsylvania. Perrine said this made him familiar with Gannon’s reputation.

“Gannon University is looking forward to Paul’s arrival on campus,” Walter Iwanenko, Ph.D., provost and vice president for student experience said in a statement. “His energy, experience and commitment to students will assist the university in advancing the development and growth of a forward-thinking student experience for years to come.”

In his role at Gannon, Perrine will focus on development and engagement of students in several areas, including the first-year experience, leadership, counseling, recreation, residence life and commuter life. Drawing from his background with leading diversity, inclusion and equity initiatives, he will promote the growth of such groups and initiatives on campus, as well as focus on student and employee well-being. Student success and retention will also be a priority of his in this role.

“I am looking forward to being part of Gannon’s talented student development and engagement team,” he said. “I am excited to join the university to further develop its seamless student engagement experience across a variety of curricular and co-curricular opportunities.”

MADELINE BRUCE