Gannon to welcome Tom Ridge

Michael Guido, News Editor

Gannon University’s School of Public Service and Global Affairs will welcome former U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge to speak to students and faculty from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. Wednesday.  

Ridge, who previously served as Erie’s U.S. Congressman for 12 years and served two terms as governor of Pennsylvania, will share his thoughts on the current political crisis facing the United States, as well as his views on the future of the country. 

The event, which will be held virtually via Zoom, is open to all Gannon students and faculty who wish to hear Ridge’s thoughts.  

Registration is available through EngageU and those who RSVP will have the opportunity to leave a question for Ridge that may be asked during the event.  

Ridge, who was born in Pittsburgh, is known as Erie’s favorite son, having attended Cathedral Preparatory School and having lived most of his adult life in Erie.  

Ridge is a decorated Vietnam War veteran who later launched a political career, winning a seat in Congress representing Erie in 1982 and getting reelected five times.  

In 1994, he was elected governor of Pennsylvania, and was reelected four years later with 57% of the vote; he later gained accolades for guiding the state and coordinating the response to the Flight 93 plane crash in Shanksville on Sept.11, 2001.  

Ridge was later selected by then-President George W. Bush to become the first director of the Office of Homeland Security; eventually becoming its first secretary when it became a Cabinet-level department.  

For more information on Wednesday’s event, visit EngageU.  

MICHAEL GUIDO