Gannon hosts 16th Annual Wellness Fair

The Wellness Fair at Gannon University has become a staple in the Gannon community as a way to learn about wellness in an open-ended and interactive way.
This year, the Wellness Fair will take place from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., then 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Students are able to explore seven “zones” of wellness set up throughout the Recreation and Wellness Center – emotional, intellectual, spiritual, environmental, occupational, social and physical.
“When people hear the word wellness, they usually only think of physical wellness, but we want students to be aware of their wellness as a whole,” said McKenna Haskins, a graduate assistant in the wellness department. “Students will be able to explore all seven zones by participating in many different hands on learning activities.”
This year there will be over 100 vendors tabling at the event. These vendors include campus partners such as academic clubs and student-run organizations, and businesses in the greater Erie area.
Even with the students’ busy schedules, Haskins encourages everyone to at least stop by the event.
“Students can make the most of their time at the Wellness Fair by looking at all of the signs that will be around at the event,” Haskins said. “That way they can see which vendors are in which zone of wellness and choose which zone interests them the most.”
Gannon offers services for students in many of the areas, including academic services or clubs, mental health counseling and group fitness classes at the Rec to name a few. The Wellness Fair helps educate students about these resources and get them involved in zone that benefits them the most.
Sammi Valaitis, a sophomore pre-med biology major, said the wellness fair is a wonderful opportunity for the entire community to not only celebrate wellness, but educate others about it.
“There are seven main pillars of the wellness wheel and Gannon does a great job incorporating each and everyone into the wellness fair,” Valaitis said.
In addition to being free and open to everyone, the event has a plethora of activities and food to attract students.
“From obstacle courses to petting therapy dogs, there is something for everyone,” Valaitis said. “I know I enjoy meeting new people at the event and learning more on how to improve my overall wellness.”
Gannon continues to focus on all elements of wellness to make sure its students grow as a strong and most importantly, healthy, community.

CHLOE FORBES