Ten classic films bring Christmas cheer

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie Bear and friends retell the tale. Michael Caine  as Ebenezer Scrooge should have won an Oscar for his ability to be mean to such furry favorites. Resident Muppet geezers Statler and Waldorf scare the “bejeezus” out of Scrooge as Robert and Jacob Marley. 

Miracle on 34th Street

The new Santa at Macy’s, played by Richard Attenborough, calls himself Kris Kringle and claims to be the actual Santa, and  a little girl named Susan believes he is not mentally ill. He starts to convince many that he might be the real deal, and is defended in court by lawyer Bryan Bedford,

played by Dylan McDermott.

The Santa Clause

Tim Allen plays recently divorced Scott Calvin, who reluctantly becomes Santa Claus when the former St. Nick falls off his roof. He distresses those around him when he becomes a roly-poly bearded lad, but by the end everyone comes to love him in his new role.  

Elf

Like Mowgli from The Jungle Book who was raised by apes, Buddy is a human raised by elves. But when Buddy, played by Will Ferrell, realizes he’s too tall to be an elf, he journeys to New York City to find his father, Walter Hobbs, played by James Caan. At first, Buddy has trouble adjusting to the sugarless and song-less existence of New Yorkers, but soon he transforms the city with his holiday cheer.

It’s a Wonderful Life

This classic taught viewers that evey time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings. Jimmy Stewart plays humble, hard-working George Bailey, who wishes he was never born after a large amount of money from his business, The Bailey Building and Loan, is lost. Without the money, Mr. Potter, whose villainy stands up with infamous names like Darth Vader, might gets his chance at ruling Bedford Falls. Goof Angel Clarence is determined show George how many lives he has touched so he can

get his wings. 

The Grinch who Stole Christmas

The live action remake casts Jim Carrey as the green dude whose plan to sabotage Christmas for all the Whos down in Whoville backfires when one little girl, Cindy Lou Who, played by Taylor Momsen, befriends him. The Grinch’s heart, which was two sizes too small, expands, and with his dog Max by his side, he becomes Christmas ambassador to all.

White Christmas

World War II veterans Bob Wallace and Phil Davis, played by Bing Crosby and  Danny Kaye, become Broadway showmen. They meet sisters Betty and Judy Haynes, played by Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen, respectively, at a nightclub where they perform their unforgettable tale of sisterly affection.  Through a series of mishaps, all four end up going to Vermont. Wallace and Davis find that their former General’s hotel faces bankruptcy due to no snow. They hatch a plan to save his place, and along the way find romance along the way.. 

Love, Actually

This film weaves together love stories played by a brilliant cast consisting of the likes of Alan Rickman, Colin Firth and Emma Thompson.  One of these tales is the story of how David, the British Prime minister, falls for his clumsy catering manager Natalie.

A Christmas Story

Ralphie Parker, played by Peter Billingsley, wants a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-Shot, Range Model Air Rifle for Christmas, but every adult thinks he will shoot his eye out. Until Christmas, Ralphie must put up with a frozen tongue he got from sticking it on a pole, a little brother who can’t put his arms down and a mouthfull of soap.

Die Hard

Bruce Willis stars as New York City cop John McClane, whose Christmas plans to spend a lovely holiday in Los Angeles with his wife are shot down when he must rescue a group of hostages who are being held by a terrorist group in the Nakatomi Plaza building.  Alan Rickman plays leader Hans Gruber.