Focusing on personal well-being in college is important

I stayed in Erie this summer and got a job at Panera and, since school started, I have realized how difficult it is to juggle a job and homework during my senior year at Gannon University.

I’m also involved with the radio and newspaper, so I have other extracurricular activites along with class and working at Panera.

The first week of class wasn’t so bad. I left after class Wednesday and Friday and went straight to the bus stop because I had to get to work. My work clothes were in my backpack so I could get changed when I arrived, but also so I didn’t look weird sitting in class in my work uniform.

Once week two of classes had started, however, I really began to struggle.

I work the closing shift, so with taking the bus I wouldn’t get home until 11 at night. Then, I’d have to make food and do at least an hour of homework before I’d fall asleep to turn around and be up at 6 a.m. to get ready for my senior thesis class.

Because I’m a night owl, I struggle to go to bed at a reasonable hour, so I don’t struggle as much with getting up early the next morning. I was lucky if I was getting more than four hours of sleep each night.

I’m also a huge procrastinator, sadly. I like saying that I put the pro in procrastinator. But it’s not like I have been intentionally putting off my work.

I have been wanting to get it done and stay ahead, especially with thesis, but that just wasn’t working out for me.

I worked Monday, Wednesday and Friday last week and had class from 8 a.m. until after 6 p.m., as well as meetings, on both Tuesday and Thursday.

I have gotten so behind on all my classwork because I was so physically exhausted from working and attending school. I spent my Labor Day weekend trying to catch up because I was so stressed that I’m already behind after two weeks.

It’s a tough decision to make, whether or not to work while attending school.

Especially since we’re all college students who need money for food and other things, a job is important and somewhat necessary.

However, since I have thesis this semester and that requires a lot of my time outside of class, I have decided that I will put in my two weeks’ notice Friday when I work next because my grades will really start to suffer if I try to continue working there.

I think it’s best for me to focus on my academics and take a break from working and save my money until I think I may be able to find a part- time job elsewhere that is more flexible with my school commitment.

If you’re trying to balance work and school and you’re succeeding, congratulations. But if you’re struggling like I am, then take a step back to think about what would be best for you.

VERONICA KOWALSKI