Ryan Young: Vice President of Student Development & Engagement

Compiled by BRANDON JACES

editor in chief, sports editor

Why are you running for VP of Student Development and Engagement?
I am running for Vice President of Student Development and Engagement because this position provides a unique opportunity. The position focuses on student life outside of the classroom, which is a crucial aspect to campus life. Being engaged on campus gives individuals a way to meet with others who share a similar interest. Whether that shared interest be sports, leadership, service or any other, engagement allows for people to express themselves and find others to share these experiences. It promotes personal growth and allows these individuals to make meaningful friendships/relationships with others. Being in this leadership position would allow me to help others find their place on campus, become engaged and become a part of the Gannon family. Overall, this position will allow me to provide students with a positive experience and ensure the enjoyment of students during their time at Gannon.

What are your goals if elected?
If elected into this position, I plan to focus on the engagement of all students on campus. I would want to hold a program that could engage all parts of campus to bring everyone together. Everyone has a story, and I would love to provide a chance for students to share their stories and listen to others’ stories. Programs similar to this are already happening on campus, but I would like to create another that is unique. My vision for a program is one that promotes individuals to listen to understand others, not to listen to respond to others. Through this program, I would want to create an inclusive environment where students could feel comfortable. Also, in this position, I would be able to connect various leaders across campus to create a unified platform for others.

What have you accomplished during your time on campus/SGA?
During my short time at Gannon University, I have been able to accomplish great things. One of my biggest accomplishments is starting the Tennis Club. During my first semester at Gannon, I was able to draft a constitution, find an adviser and recruit students. Within a short time, I was able to gain University recognition and SGA recognition for the club. The club now has around 15 members, and it is continuously expanding and growing. Also, this year I became involved with SGA as a Freshman Class Representative. Through being a member of SGA, I have been able to grow personally, as well as in my leadership abilities. SGA has allowed me to have a better understanding of the university, which will be beneficial in this position.

Why should students vote for you?
Students should vote for me because I am someone who is determined, has a strong work ethic and takes initiative. These qualities are crucial for this type of leadership position. Some of my strengths include positivity, inclusiveness and adaptability, which can help me successfully complete the duties of this position. I would put forth my best effort in this position to help better the organization. If elected as Vice President of Student Development and Engagement, I could enhance the student experience at Gannon. SGA is an organization in which I am very passionate about, and with this passion I will be able to accomplish many things within the organization.

Why do you think there aren’t many people running for the SGA board this year?Gannon University provides many opportunities for individuals across campus. Student Government Association is an amazing opportunity for me, but others may find other opportunities better suited for their own strengths and aspirations.
So, I feel there are not many people running for the SGA board this year because they may be pursuing other things in which they are passionate about at Gannon.