Gannon community to compete in Quad Games

At Gannon University, the Good for U initiative promotes wellness in and around the campus community and invites all students, staff and faculty to get involved in different events and activities in the community.
The Quad Games is a year-long fitness program for Gannon staff and faculty that includes four events: the 100-yard swim in April, the 12-mile bike ride in July, the 5-mile or 5K run in September and, coming up on Jan. 21, the 5-mile ski race or 2.5-mile snowshoe.
With the Quad Games, many corporations, businesses and schools will send members of their organizations to promote wellness and healthy living in Erie County. Last year’s overall winner was General Electric, but Gannon has been performing and placing high in the swim, bike and run events in all categories, with even some staff and faculty members placing first in their division.
At the Quad Games, it is not required to participate in all of the events, but it is encouraged. Participants can compete in any combination of the events. Families are allowed to participate in the Quad Games, so it can be a fun activity for the whole family to do, with kids 12-and-under being admitted for $25 for all four events or $10 per event, whether that be the swim, bike, run, snowshoe or ski.
Kids’ events are shorter than the adults’; participating in a 25-yard or 50-yard swim instead of the 100-yard; a half-mile or 1-mile bike instead of the 12-mile; a half-mile or 1 mile run instead of the 5-mile or 5K; and lastly, a half-mile or mile race instead of the 5-mile or 2.5-mile snowshoe.
Gannon’s participation in the Quad Games has grown over the years. In 2014, nine faculty and staff members competed in the games, but by 2015 that number had grown to 42.
Gannon is making it a priority to not only reach out to students to promote all aspects of the Good for U initiative, but also to get staff and faculty engaged and excited about opportunities such as the Quad Games. The 2017-2018 Quad Games will be ending with the 5-mile ski race or 2.5-mile snowshoe, which will be taking place at Wilderness Lodge in Wattsburg. The 5-mile ski will be starting at 1 p.m., with the snowshoeing event starting after the skiers have made a fair distance on the course and the kids beginning their races at 2:45 p.m. The awards will be presented directly after the kids finish their races at 3 p.m.
Gannon has been involved in the Quad Games for over a decade, and its biggest competitor is General Electric. This year’s team is highly competitive. To get involved is really easy, just contact MJ Taylor at [email protected] for next year’s 2018-2019 Quad Games, which start again April 2018 with the 100-yard swim.

AMY BENKOVICH