‘Mamma Mia!’ to run at Erie Playhouse

LAUREN SOVISKY
staff writer

The Erie Playhouse continues its season with “Mamma Mia!,” a jukebox musical based on the songs of ‘70s Swedish pop group ABBA.
On the Greek island of Kalokairi, young Sophie is preparing for her wedding.
There is only one thing missing: her father.
She always hoped her father would be the one to walk her down the aisle, but her mother, Donna, had never once mentioned who he was.
After some digging, she discovers her mother’s old diary, which holds the names of three men who could possibly be her father.
She sends out spontaneous invites, believing she will know her father when she sees him. Through a mixture of ABBA’s famous hits, we follow Sophie’s quest to uncover her real father and Donna’s past relationship drama.
Natalee Junker, a sophomore athletic training major, will be performing in the Playhouse’s rendition of “Mamma Mia!” as Lisa, one of Sophie’s bridesmaids.
As a native of Pittsburgh, she admires how down to earth Erie’s Playhouse is, and enjoys participating in whatever shows she can.
“I’m performing in one of my favorite shows,” Junker said. “The music is fun, the show is fun and I’m working with an incredible group of people.”
The Erie Playhouse has been under construction since July, pushing back the start date of its 101st season.
The $1.8 million project will add a new under-the-stage green room, sunken orchestra pit, digital stage lighting and stage-level restrooms.
Almi Clerkin, former Playhouse executive director, noted how much of the playhouse was gutted and unrecognizable.
“A large part of the renovation was for the comfort and enjoyment of the audience as well as to update the Playhouse as they move into their second century,” Clerkin said.
Initially, the Playhouse hoped to complete renovations before “Mamma Mia’s” original opening date on Oct. 5, but due to complications involving the underground structure and leveling issues, the opening needed to be pushed back.
The demolition phase is now complete and crews have begun the finishing touches.
“Mamma Mia!” will open at the Playhouse on Thursday, Oct. 26, running select dates through Nov. 19.

LAUREN SOVISKY