Women’s basketball in tough stretch

The Gannon University women’s basketball team went through a tough stretch during the last couple weeks with only two wins, but the Knights hope to turn things around when they take on rival Mercyhurst at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Mercyhurst Athletic Center.
Gannon brings an overall record of 4-13 into the game and will look to improve upon its 4-7 mark in PSAC play.
In their most recent outing, the Knights came up short to Clarion, 75-71, Saturday in the 10th annual Pink Zone game at the Hammermill Center.
The loss was the fourth in five starts since the calendar turned to 2017. The only victory during that stretch came in a 74-71 decision over the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown at Johnstown on Jan. 9.
Saturday’s loss to Clarion was close until the Eagles pulled away by sinking their free throws down the stretch.
Junior Maggie Mitchell contributed 19 points, Lanise Saunders totaled 16 points and 11 rebounds and freshman Julia Braungart chipped in with 13 points.
Chelsea Rourke talked about the team’s ongoing improvement and its new sense of energy.
“Every day in practice is getting better and improvements are being made every day,” Rourke said.
The Knights, who are working on getting more assists and cutting down on the turnovers, claimed their lone win of the new year at Pitt-Johnstown. Mitchell led the way with 17 points and five assists and Lauren Tewes contributed eight points.
It was a team effort and the Knights needed every point to take home the win on the road.
After beating Pitt-Johnstown, Gannon played Edinboro Jan. 11 but fell to the Scots, 83-54.
The offensive side of the ball was led by Tewes with 14 points, Saunders with 13 points and Rourke with 12 points.
Prior to the win over Pitt-Johnstown, Gannon’s most recent victory came in an 83-71 decision over East Stroudsburg in mid-December.
Mitchell paced the Knights with 29 points, Saunders had 17 points and nine rebounds and Braungart added 10 points.
Gannon had its hands full in the next couple of games against Virginia Union, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, California University of Pennsylvania and Seton Hill.
Virginia Union was a difficult game and Gannon lost 84-55, but a few of the freshmen helped the Knights offensively. Rourke scored 16 points, Marissa Siebka totaled 10 and Tewes had seven.
IUP was a competitive game until the third period when Indiana outscored Gannon by 11 points, causing an 18-point hole Gannon could not get out of. The game resulted in a 71-48 loss for the Knights.
Gannon’s leading scorers were Saunders with 17 points and 11 rebounds and Mitchell with nine points.
Next, the Knights fell 87-56 to California University of Pennsylvania. Mitchell scored 16 points with six assists, Braungart scored nine with three assists and Tewes had eight points.
Roarke led the way with 18 points in an 83-63 loss to Seton Hill. Mitchell scored 12 for Gannon and Braungart finished with eight.

STEVEN PITCAIRN