Schuster preps for second half of season

A new year means a new season for the Schuster Theatre. 2017 brings more creative magic and new ideas to Gannon University’s stage.
Opening the new year is “White Snake,” an ancient Chinese folk tale of love between an immortal shapeshifter and a humble, good-hearted pharmaceutical assistant.
The story has varying details depending on the region of China.
The author, Mary Zimmerman, wrote down every version she had heard and brought them together to create this piece.
The Schuster Theatre is already at week two of practice, preparing to bring this story to life by mid-February.
The next story coming to the Schuster stage is “Ape/Essence,” a dystopian novel reconfigured for the stage with the help of the Rev. Shawn Clerkin, director of the Schuster Theatre.
The story takes place after a nuclear war, and is also the star show Gannon will take on its summer trip to Edinburgh, Scotland, for the largest festival in the world: the International Collegiate Theatre Festival (ICTF).
This production will be the third Gannon has performed in Scotland for the ICTF. Students have already been cast for the production and are excited to begin rehearsals.
In the midst of the Schuster’s productions will be Erie’s annual spring tradition of Fringe Fest.
For seven years, student work as well as new and creative works by local theaters including PACA and Dramashop and newcomer Dafmark Dance Company, has been produced for this theater extravaganza.
In addition to theatrical works, the Schuster Theatre, with the help of the campus drama fraternity Apha Psi Omega, will be introducing new and exciting events as fundraisers for the Scotland trip.
“There is such a great range of projects our students and faculty will be working on and creating this spring,” said Jax Vadney, the Schuster Theatre’s technical director.
“I am excited to see all the work our students do, and how our Erie partners support these educational experiences.”
“Singing Valentines,” a Murder Mystery Dinner, the GU Talent Show, a collaborated performance and production with The Erie Playhouse’s YouTheatre program of “One Cool Friend” and the Alex Clemente Fundraising piece “The Glorious Ones” will all be making appearances throughout the spring semester.
For more information regarding events and show times at the Schuster Theatre or to make reservations for any of the performances, visit www.gannon.edu/schustertheatre.

LAUREN SOVISKY