Playhouse presents ‘Scrooge’

By SARA BORRO
staff writer

The holiday season is a very exciting time and the City of Erie is really getting into the spirit.
The Erie Playhouse will be hosting “Scrooge” for the next two weeks.
The production began Friday and will run until Dec. 20, giving you, your friends and your family plenty of opportunities to get festive with The Playhouse.
The musical is an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” The first musical adaptation of Dickens’ tale was a film adaptation in 1970. The production is now continuing to thrill audiences both on screen and on stage.
Like the film adaptation, the stage production closely follows the plot of Dickens’ novel. It is the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, who undergoes a transformation one Christmas Eve when he is visited by ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.
Over the last 100 years, Ebenezer Scrooge has appeared at the Playhouse 15 times, which is more than any other character to date.
This year Scrooge will be played by Rich Tryzbia, whom also appeared in Erie Playhouse’s production of “Les Miserables.”
The musical is under the direction of Almitra Clerkin, and also features a very talented cast of Erie Playhouse performers.
Bob Cratchit will be portrayed by Playhouse favorite Charles Corritore.
Corritore’s grandchildren will also be performing in the show.
His grandson, Michael Corritore, will be playing the lovable Tiny Tim, and his granddaughtes Ella and Hailey Corritore will be playing two other Cratchit children.
Other cast members include Diane Martone (Mrs. Cratchit), Tom Wager (Jacob Marley), Joe Greulich (Ghost of Christmas Present) and Patti Rudzinski (Ghost of Christmas Past.)
The show is also being worked on by Will Steadman for vocal direction, Christine Daugherty for set and lighting design and Ryan Ingram for costume design.
Clerkin is choreographing the production.
“Scrooge” will be running Wednesday to Sunday until Dec. 20.
Show times are scheduled at 7:30 p.m. for Wednesday through Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday.
Tickets can be purchased at the box office of the Erie Playhouse located at 13 W. 10th St.

SARA BORRO