Gannon splits last two games

The first two weeks in October were not kind to the Gannon University football team.
After starting the season with three straight wins, the Knights dropped their next three, the last of which was a 41-17 decision to host Edinboro University on Oct. 8.
Gannon went out looking to snap that losing streak against visiting Seton Hill Saturday, and the Knights were able to do just that in a 34-12 victory over the Griffins at McConnell Family Stadium.
Quad Law caught a pair of touchdown passes and Gannon used a big second half to put the Griffins away and improve to 4-3 overall and 1-3 in PSAC play heading into Saturday’s 3 p.m. matchup on the road against No. 7-ranked California University of Pennsylvania.
The second half of the Knights’ win over Seton Hill, which came on an unseasonably warm day, saw the brotherly duo of Quad and Nico Law put on a dynamic performance.
The Law brothers each had eight receptions and they totaled 158 receiving yards between them. But it was big brother Quad — a redshirt senior — who seemed to shine a little brighter with his two touchdown receptions in the half.
In the process, Quad Law moved into Gannon’s all-time top five receiving yardage list with 1,640 yards. He also is ninth in all-time all-purpose yardage with 2,979 yards.
Law’s first score came on a 12-yard pass from Zach Phillips that capped an eight-play, 58-yard drive late in the third quarter. That score extended Gannon’s 10-6 halftime lead to 17-6.
Law’s second touchdown catch came on a 13-yard pass from Tyler Palka two minutes into the final quarter, a score that widened the Knights’ margin to 24-6. It was Palka’s first career touchdown pass.
Gannon did have a slight slip up when the Griffins were able to pick up a fumble and bring it back for a touchdown, but the scoop-and-score was not enough for Seton Hill to build enough momentum to catch Gannon.
In fact, the Knights were able to bounce back and respond with running back Marcus Jones having a 3-yard touchdown run and Karch Holland getting a 25-yard field goal to finish the game off.
Holland now stands in seventh place all-time in the career point category with 180.
Gannon’s defense played a huge role in the win, holding Seton Hill to minus-19 rushing yards — five yards short of theback for a touchdown, but the scoop-and-score was not enough for Seton Hill to build enough momentum to catch Gannon.
Gannon’s defense played a huge role in the win, holding Seton Hill to minus-19 rushing yards — five yards short of the school record set against Alma (Mich.) in 2001.
Gannon spotted Seton Hill a 3-0 first-quarter lead but Holland negated that with a 25-yard field goal early in the second quarter that ended a 74-yard drive that took nearly five minutes.
On the following kickoff Holland was able to make up for a missed field goal in the first quarter as he forced and recovered a fumble on the return. With Gannon having the ball again, running back Tyler Johnson showed off his downhill running ability.
Johnson put up 30 yards on the drive, including a 17-yard touchdown rush, to make it 10-3 in favor of Gannon. Seton Hill pulled to within four at 10-6 on Santiago Henao’s field goal late the second quarter, but the Griffins could get no closer.
Gannon finished with 372 yards of total offense to 344 for Seton Hall. The Knights also dominated in time of possession, holding the ball for 37:49 to Seton Hill’s 22:11.
In the Oct. 8 loss to Edinboro, Gannon enjoyed a time-of-possession advantage, but that was about it as Edinboro finished with a 561-378 edge in total yardage, including 389-296 through the air. The Knights also were penalized 14 times for 121 yards and outgained on the ground 172-82.
Edinboro built a 20-3 halftime lead and Gannon never got closer than 17 points in the second half. The Knights’ two touchdowns came on an 80-yard pass from Phillips to Richard Makowski and Jones’ 3-yard run.
The Knights will face a tough task Saturday in traveling to meet Cal U. Gannon has yet to beat the Vulcans on the field in eight meetings. The Knights were awarded a forfeit victory in 2014. Cal U. is unbeaten at 6-0, with its last win coming against Clarion, 48-20.

MATTHEW NEWARA