Fantasy hair colors: Are you ready for the plunge?

Have you recently seen a color that you’ve been dying to try?
More and more fashion colors seem to be popping up, not only on campus, but everywhere. Both men and women of all ages are starting to trade in their normal hair color for bold, vivid colors.
Every so often you will see someone rocking a dark blue mohawk, or catch a glimpse of a pink highlight peeking through someone’s natural mousy color.
In the last few years more and more people have been expressing themselves through their hair. Some do it for the shock value while others do it to show off their personality. Either way, it’s a growing trend that is here to stay.
If you are thinking about joining the growing population of expressionists but are not sure where to start, then you finally have found the starting line.
There are many things to think about before jumping into a new color, especially a vivid color. Below are some questions you should ask yourself and think about.

Am I allowed?

Certain jobs and schools have strict policies about hair color. These are often in place to create a professional setting. Not everyone is ready for or willing to accept these changes and pushing the issue often results in consequences.
Other jobs may accept fun colors, but have policies that are limiting. If employed at one of these companies, then it is best to have peekaboo highlights that can easily be hidden.
Another idea is to go bold and dark. Colors such as violet red may look like a deep red color until sunlight hits. Once in the sun, depending on the color level, they will often pop.

Am I ready for this change?

One thing my experiences at a salon have taught me is that people will always say they are ready for this change but in reality, they are not.
You cannot force yourself into doing something that you are not ready for. If you think you want an extreme change, then it is best to ease into it. It is less damaging to the hair, and you have more control over what you desire.

Are you sure you’re ready?

It is always a good idea to test the water before jumping in.
One way is to find a wig similar to your goal and wear it for at least a day.
A better idea is to change your hair color in a photo editing program by manipulating the tone and contrast. A good website for this is Ipiccy.com or the PicsArt app. This helps you get a better idea on the shade of color you desire. Stylists are there to help, but remember, that they will not be wearing the color, you will be.
If you jump into a new color and change your mind, then it is NOT the responsibility of the stylist to perform an additional service for free.

Have you made a plan?

The next step is to find out the small details and make a plan.
How much can you afford to spend? If your salon can perform the desired service, are you able to maintain the color? And most importantly, do not make plans for the day of service.
Coloring hair is much like a calculated science experiment. The stylist creates a formula based on what they see and what information you give them.
Sometimes things do not go according to plan, so save the headache and make sure you have enough time to get the color corrected in case something unexpected happens.
Do not plan to do this three hours before your wedding.
Have you answered “yes” to all of the questions and are now eager to rush to the salon and get the service done as soon as possible?
Well, don’t. These services require a good amount of time and money, so start by visiting your salon of choice for a consultation.
Make sure you make a list of questions and do not be afraid of asking too many. The stylist should show you swatches, find out your chemical services history and give you an estimate for the service as well as color-care products. You will most likely not get an exact amount because it is a calculated experiment.

What is your plan for maintaining your color?

From the very beginning, stylists have the phrase “Product is key!” drilled into their head, which is very accurate.
Products from Wal-Mart or a drugstore typically say “color safe,” but this isn’t always the case. It is always best to go to a salon where they will guarantee satisfaction in their products.
Fantasy colors such as blues, and especially reds, will fade more quickly than traditional colors.
It is best to use the right product in order to preserve your color. It is also best to get the color touched up about three weeks after the initial coloring to prevent unwanted muddy colors or root exposure.
Now that you have accomplished all of this, you are ready for your change.
Want to show off your team spirit with your team’s colors? Thinking of going to cotton candy pink? Maybe you want to support a cause. Now is a great time to do it, but remember to think about the pros and cons before trying your new look.

BRITTINY RAFFERTY