Black Eyed Peas re-release hit song

OLIVIA BURGER
a&l editor

With a summer full of multiple terrorist attacks, horrible violence, and deadly hate crimes the famous pop group The Black Eyed Peas have turned to the fundamental question “Where is the love?”
The Black Eyed Peas re-released their first major hit and Grammy-nominated song, “Where Is the Love?” under a new title, “#WHERESTHELOVE,” on Aug. 31.
The new song premiered exclusively via Apple Music and all of the U.S. proceeds went to charity.
The new version of the song was released as a music video featuring the original group members William Adams (will.i.am), Allan Pineda (apl.de.ap), Jaime Gomez (Taboo) and Fergie Duhamel, as well as 64 other celebrities.
Celebrities featured in the video included Jamie Foxx, Mary J. Blige, Jessie J, Snoop Dogg, Tori Kelly, Wiz Khalifa, LL Cool J, Usher, Game, Diddy, A$AP Rocky, Jaden Smith, Randy Jackson, Kendall and Kris Jenner, Nicole Scherzinger, Andra Day, Ty Dolla $ign, Justin Timberlake and many others.
In addition to being featured in the music video, these 64 famous faces have pledged to fight gun violence in today’s culture alongside The Black Eyed Peas.
The new rendition of “Where Is the Love?” clearly brings light to the widespread violence of today’s time with new verses and lyrics from a number of the featured guests.
The new video begins with will.i.am singing a stripped down version of the original chorus, first sung by Timberlake in the 2003 release.
Later in the video, Foxx, Diddy, Game, Ty Dolla $ign, DJ Khaled, A$AP Rocky and Smith all sing new verses that directly address current issues like the war against terrorism, police brutality and even the presidential election.
The video ends with all four group members in the same shot, and then fades to a 40-member children’s choir singing the chorus.Throughout the video, famous images of violent world events flash in between clips of celebrities singing along.
Some images include Syrian refugee faces, police brutality incidents and war battles.
The Black Eyed Peas also cited the deaths of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling by including their families faces amongst those of the celebrities.
Dallas police chief David O. Brown also makes an appearance to signify the deaths of five Dallas polices officers in July.
The Black Eyed Peas live up to their words and “practice what they preach” by allowing all of the proceeds from the new song to go to the i.am.angel Foundation.
The i.am.angel Foundation is a nonprofit founded by will.i.am dedicated to promoting education and providing scholarships.
While the major question of the video still remains unanswered, the “#WHERESTHELOVE” music video itself has gotten a lot of love since its release, trending on all major social media sites.
In an interview with Rolling Stone, will.i.am said that he hopes the new edition of the song sparks a change.
“I hope this song inspires the millennial to go all out,” he said.
“Scream from the tallest mountain. Care like your freedom depends on it. Pay attention like that is at risk..”

OLIVIA BURGER