Softball defeats Mercyhurst in doubleheader at home

After multiple postponed games and a loss to California University of Pennsylvania on April 2, the Gannon University softball team was able to pull together two wins against rival Mercyhurst Tuesday despite the prior chaos.
In game one, the Knights defeated the visiting Lakers, 1-0, and followed that with a 3-1 win in the second game of the doubleheader.
The sweep enabled Gannon to improve to 12-14 overall and 4-6 in PSAC West play going into Wednesday’s 2:30 p.m. doubleheader against Slippery Rock at McConnell Family Stadium.
Junior Olivia Gumbita went the distance in Tuesday’s first game and was credited with the win, making her 8-6 on the year so far.
Both teams were shutting the other out in the first three innings until sophomore Jackie Martinez powered a single up the middle. Then, senior Alyssa Bates put down a sacrifice bunt to the pitcher, sophomore Heather Nye, to advance Martinez to second.
Martinez was able to move to third on a single from senior Alexa Archambeault, who stole second shortly after getting on base.
With runners in scoring positions, senior Rachel deGuia dug in. She laid down a bunt to third and was thrown out at first, allowing Martinez to score and Archambeault to take third giving deGuia the winning RBI.
Gumbita did the rest, scattering 10 hits and walking just one while striking out four.
With some momentum behind them from the first game, the Knights were able to put up a couple more runs in the second game of the doubleheader.
The scoring didn’t start until the third inning when freshman Autumn Smith drew a walk and stole second after a pop up from junior Jen Moran.
Smith was then able to score from second after Kellyn Perich singled to center on what seemed to be a hit-and-run situation.
Two innings later, the Knights lit up the scoreboard once again on a leadoff double hit by Smith. Smith then scored on a shot down the leftfield line from Martinez.
Mercyhurst put a notch on the board in the sixth inning, which was answered in the next half inning by Gannon.
It all started with a double to left center by Archambeault, who advanced on a sacrifice bunt to third by freshman Ashley Bower.
DeGuia then was able to sneak one past the first baseman, but was thrown out at first by an approaching right fielder. Despite the out, Archambeault was able to score.
Perich earned the win, scattering six hits, walking two and striking out four to improve to 3-6 on the season.
Following Wednesday’s matchup with Slippery Rock, the Knights will host Seton Hill in a Saturday doubleheader that starts at 2:30 p.m. and then travel to Edinboro to take on the Fighting Scots in another doubleheader that begins at 1 p.m.

BRANDON JACES