James Bay releases new music video

English singer-songwriter James Bay on Friday released his second music video for his song “Let It Go” exclusively through Apple Music.
The 4 1/2-minute music video features Bay’s latest single from his full-length debut album, “Chaos And The Calm.”
The first music video for “Let It Go” was released in March of 2015 and depicted Bay sitting in a house singing while the surroundings slowly start to catch fire.
At the end of the video, Bay escapes the burning home by driving away in a car with a woman in the passenger seat.
The video, released Friday via Apple Music, opens as the first one does with Bay sitting in what is presumably the same house.
The view shifts between two rooms, one a cluttered basic bedroom and the other a homey kitchen.
Within the first 20 seconds of the video, Bay begins to take a paddle and destroy the kitchen, breaking glass and throwing food in a whirlwind of chaotic emotion as the first familiar strings of “Let It Go” are played.
After the spurt of destruction, the video continues with slow- moving images of Bay in the two rooms sitting and singing.
The song switches in an out of the original recording and a stripped-down live version that gives the video an intimate feeling.
About halfway through the video, a new flashback scene is introduced as Bay and his friends are depicted partying in the kitchen that he destroyed in the opening scene.
The remainder of the video features footage of Bay playing the guitar in the bedroom and singing to the camera at the kitchen table.
The ending scene flashbacks to the moment after Bay has destroyed the kitchen and the outline of his face is silhouetted against the back wall.
According to the press release from Bay’s representative, the clip “tells a gripping tale with Bay at the center, cycling through a myriad of emotion” and “stands out as his most poignant statement yet.”
Freshman mortuary science major Brooke Battin is a music lover who has taken a liking to Bay’s soft yet strong sound.
“He has a really unique voice,” she said.
“It’s very simple and easy to listen to but you can tell there is a lot of emotion in his music.”
Bay is one of many artists who is opting to release music videos through paid subscription services like Apple Music.
The first music video is available on YouTube through Vevo but fans must have or buy an Apple Music subscription to see the second installment.
The “Let It Go” music video was directed by Sophie Muller who has previously worked with artists like Beyoncé, The Strokes, Sam Smith and Coldplay.
With the rising success of his singles “Let It Go” and “Hold Back the River” and three Grammy nominations for Best New Artist, Best Rock Album for “Chaos And The Calm” and Best Rock Song for “Hold Back the River,” Bay is rising in popularity and recognition.
Hot off of his Grammy success, Bay will be performing at the 2016 BRIT Awards, where he is also nominated for six different awards including: Best British Breakthrough Act, British Male Solo Artist, British Single of the Year for “Hold Back The River,” and British Album of the Year for “Chaos And The Calm.”
The BRIT Awards will be taking place in London at the O2 Arena at 8 p.m. Wednesday and will be aired via live stream on YouTube at 3 p.m. EST.
Bay will also be performing in America soon for a string of concert and festival performances.
The singer is scheduled to perform twice at the Coachella festival, held in Indio, Calif., on April 16 and 23.
He also will be performing at the Fox Theater in Oakland, Calif., on April 22 and the Roseland Theater in Portland, Ore., on April 29.
Bay is not scheduled to perform a show on the east coast through August 10.
For more information about Bay visit www.jamesbay.com.

OLIVIA BURGER