Chris Pike finds a new position to play

Gannon University’s Chris Pike made his presence known over the past four years as a defensive back for the Knights’ football team.
Now the Oswego, N.Y., product is gaining recognition in another position – this time off the field.
Pike was recently named NCAA Division II National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) chair.
In his new national leadership position, Pike will conduct all of Division II SAAC Committee meetings and speak on behalf of the Division II SAAC.
The 5-foot-11, 195-pound graduate student said he’s also responsible for staying up to date with all ongoing projects in Division II.
The honor has impacted Pike personally in many ways. First being elected has given him a boost of confidence in himself and his leadership abilities.
“It also has given me the opportunity to grow as an individual and expand my horizons and hands-on leadership experiences, hopefully allowing me to become a more effective leader through the challenges that will present themselves throughout my time as chair,” Pike said.
Pike is scheduled to serve as chair until January 2017 at the NCAA Convention. He began his service on Gannon’s SAAC in his first two seasons and became president his junior year.  After the close of the 2013-14 school year, Pike was named to the national SAAC of Division II as the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference representative.
Dan Teliski, assistant director of athletics for Media Relations, and his team are excited and proud of Pike for his selection to national chair.
“This is a big honor that very few get to experience,” Teliski said. “He is more than worthy of this position.”
Pike has been instrumental on multiple fronts at Gannon, with the PSAC and the NCAA Division II SAAC.
“He is one of the most talented student-athletes I’ve worked with and we wish him the best of luck,” Teliski said.
While at Gannon, Pike earned a bachelor’s degree in sport and exercise science after graduating last May and was a four-year letter winner on the football team. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in sport and exercise science.

BRANDON JACES