Gannon beats SU, stays in playoff hunt

The Gannon University Golden Knights men’s soccer team struck gold on the road Saturday night and sunk the Shippensburg Raiders with a 2-1 win.

The Knights, who improved to 3-5 overall and 2-3 in PSAC play, will next see action at 6 p.m. Wednesday against Slippery Rock University at McConnell Family Stadium.

In the win over Shippensburg, Gannon junior Sergio Kobowane scored in the 22nd minute of play, putting a cross from sophomore defender Ivan Viveros into the lower left corner of the goal.

Going into the half the Raiders attempted to tie up the game on a header from Patrick Luebben, but Gannon freshman goalie Jorge Hernandez came up with a clutch save to preserve the 1-0 lead.

Shippensburg’s prayers were answered in the 60th minute as Derek Adams scored off a pass from Joey Gallucci to tie the score at 1-1.

Four minutes later the Knights rallied back and senior Chad Petterson scored off a rebound from Kobowane into an open goal. That gave the Knights a 2-1 lead and secured the victory.

This win puts a playoff position within reach and gives the Knights momentum going into Wednesday’s home matchup with Slippery Rock, coach Dale White said.

Statistically speaking, the Knights outshot Shippensburg 20-8, with nine shots on goal. Both teams had five corner kicks a piece, and the Knights received three yellow cards.

Despite the yellow cards, White said he thought Gannon was still the better team. The Knights didn’t change much from their previous outing – a 5-0 loss to Millersville – except moving the midfielders and involving the defense and fullbacks, White said.

Redshirt junior Nick Stephenson said the win over Shippensburg gives the Knights a lot of momentum and the team is fired up for its upcoming games. If they win the next two games it boosts their chances for the PSAC tournament, but if they lose it puts them behind, Stephenson said.

Looking to the future, the Knights will be hitting the road to take on Seton Hill University at 4 p.m. Saturday.

BRANDON JACES