PACA revitalizes iconic show for Halloween

Leading up to its Halloween Bash on Oct. 31, Performing Artists Collective Alliance, better known as PACA, will be revitalizing the classic Halloween staple “The Rocky Horror Show.”

Released in 1975 as a musical comedy horror film, it was not as widely accepted back then due to the risqué attire, themes and overall storyline.

Initially starting out on the stage before hitting the big screens, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” follows the story of the newly engaged couple Brad Majors and Janet Weiss as they go to visit their old science professor Dr. Everett Scott.

On a dreary evening the couple find themselves stranded after getting lost and experiencing car troubles. They seek refuge in a nearby castle where they attempt to call for help, but they are greeted by an Igor-esque handyman and a crazed-looking maid.

The young couple is forced into attending an obscure dinner party occurring within the castle. A few musical numbers later they are introduced to their spellbinding host. The couple’s innocent plea for help quickly turns into a night full of chills, thrills and a science experiment they will never forget.

Sophomore theatre and communication arts major Cassie Bielecki said her dad first introduced her to the movie when she was in seventh grade.

“I thought it was brilliant. A little strange and peculiar, but brilliant nonetheless.” Bielecki said “I instantly learned the ‘Time Warp’ and would do it all the time, whether my mom was telling me to stop or not.”

What has helped this film transcend time and the many phases of pop culture is the catchy rock-driven soundtrack. Aiding the audience through the peculiar event-filled evening are memorable songs like “Time Warp,” “Science Fiction/Double Feature,” and “There’s a Light.”

Adding to the legacy of the show, rock legend Meat Loaf appears in the film adaptation for a brief cameo. The rock icon performs the track “Hot Patootie- Bless My Soul,” which is reminiscent of the early sounds of rock ‘n’ roll.

What has kept this iconic show relevant aside from its catchy soundtrack is the love of the performances themselves. With a bizarre plot, it does not take much to recognize that members of the cast break the fourth wall and interact with the audience making the performance more entertaining and personal. Even the “Rocky Horror” fans play a part during the different showings.

Over the years, fans have come up with creative ways to interact with the film. They come stocked with newspapers, water guns, toast, noise makers and party hats. All of these are used during specific moments of the show. For instance, the waters guns and newspapers are used during the scene where Brad and Janet walk up to the castle during a downpour. However, this audience interaction would never be used during live theater events like PACA’s performance.

Sophomore early childhood development major Morgan Brundage, will be performing as a member of the ensemble in PACA’s rendition of the show.

PACA’s “Rocky Horror Show” debuts Friday. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. Performances will run on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the month of October with one midnight showing on Oct. 24. PACA is located at 1505 State St. For more information go to paca1505.com.

MEGAN HAMM