APB dazzles with Hollywood theme

Oct. 3 became a night for Gannon University students to mark in their memories. A night to spend with friends, dress in dazzling dresses and formal wear and mark the winners of the Homecoming competitions.

The night started under the arch, where the yellow limos awaited to take us to our first exclusive “Hollywood” party.

A short drive through the city, window watching to see Erie like you never have before, until we stepped off into a different world. As you strode through the doors you were blinded by the bright lights of the disco ball and the sparkles gleaming off cocktail dresses.

The room was large, backlighted in red and white. Along the walls were silver stars, showcasing the candidates for the royal positions of Homecoming King and Queen.

Each table gave a classic Hollywood feeling.  Black and red tablecloths, vases of red roses and dimly lit candles gave you the sense of recently walking off the red carpet and entering an evening of pure class.

A photo booth recorded the memories made with friends. Giant glasses, feather boas and silly hats were available for anyone who wanted to dress up for a photo.

The dance floor was packed with Gannon celebrities. Whether you had seen them in a lab, sorority or club, you were sure to recognize a face.

Everyone danced with wild grace, enjoying the night of fun with a wide selection of songs. The DJ had been schooled in entertaining, and proved his teachings by playing today’s hits and the audiences favorites like “Don’t Stop Believing,” by Journey and Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody.”

When he sensed a crowd favorite, he lowered the music to hear the students’ shouting voices sing the next line or chorus.

Line dances are always a given and the APB event was no exception. “Cha Cha Slide,” and the “Cupid Shuffle,” brought everyone onto the dance floor to showcase their own style into each instructed dance move.

No Hollywood party would take place without an assortment of munchies to satisfy after a long night of dancing. Pizza, raw veggies, taco dip, chips as well as two chocolate fountains supplied the college student’s dream buffet.

Although the party lasted far past midnight, when the clock struck 12 the moment many were anxiously awaiting had arrived. Winners for the parade dance, banner and Homecoming royalty were finally announced.

The first-place banner winners were APB and AGD. APO was awarded with first place in the dance competition. Matt Golombeck of PKA and Lis Seibel of Tri Sigma Sigma were crowned Prince and Princess. Adriani Cherico of DSP and Danielle King of Phi Sigma Sigma were crowned the King and Queen of Homecoming.

The night went on strong with victory dancing from the winners, while others went off to enjoy free pancakes in Waldron. This Hollywood adventure brought by Gannon’s Activities Programing Board was a five-star event that will not be easily forgotten.

LAUREN SOVISKY