Volleyball eyes big weekend

The Gannon University volleyball team split its two PSAC-opening matches Friday and won both Saturday to improve its record to 10-3 on the season.

The first match of the weekend saw the Knights fall to the Mountain Cats of University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, 22-25, 25-22, 23-25, 25-23,  15-11, to snap a six-game win streak.

Junior Hannah Kren excelled for Gannon as she posted 12 kills and 17 digs. Senior Morgan Walters also chipped in four aces for the match.

The Knights rebounded nicely by beating Lock Haven handily, 26-24, 16-25, 25-19, 25-19.

Gannon was led again by Kren who dominated with 16 kills and 31 digs. Friday’s performance placed junior Jordan Thiery 16th in the nation in aces per set, with 0.71.

The Knights did not lose their form overnight, as they defeated Shippensburg by scores of 25-22, 22-25, 25-22, 25-23.

Kren registered 22 kills and 22 digs, while sophomore Sarah Crandall recorded a team-high 26 digs.

Gannon’s final match resulted in a 25-17, 17-25, 25-19, 25-19 victory over Millersville, finishing the weekend with a 3-1 PSAC mark and an overall 10-3 record.

Walters said she feels like the team took some experience out of the UPJ loss.

“It was a hard-fought, five-set match where I believe we learned a lot,” Walters said. “It gave us the opportunity to have our weaknesses exposed, so that we can get stronger as the season continues.”

After having a successful weekend on their home court, Walters and the Knights are already focused on their next test, as they host Seton Hill (13-3, 4-0) at 7 p.m. Friday and California University Pennsylvania (6-8, 4-0) at 2 p.m. Saturday – both at the Hammermill Center.

“We are going into a big weekend where we face Cal U, who always has a strong program and Seton Hill, who gave us our last three losses of last season,” Walters said.

“I know my teammates and I are fired up and ready to take on the challenge and we hope the rest of campus is too.”

MAX SENG