Women’s soccer improves to 6-0

The Gannon University women’s soccer team moved up four spots to No. 4 in the nation in the latest NSCAA Division II Top 25 Poll released Tuesday, just three days after a 3-1 road win at Lock Haven.

The victory set a school record for most wins at the start of the season with six.

Freshman Morgan Putnam scored her first career goal to break a 1-1 tie in the 70th minute to give Gannon the lead and the eventual win at Foundation Field Saturday.

Gannon (6-0, 5-0 PSAC) struck first, when senior Michelle Genetin found the back of the net 6 minutes, 27 seconds into the match.

Sammy Valloud’s long pass to Genetin set up a chip shot over the goalkeeper for a 1-0 lead.

The Knights took a 1-0 lead into the half, despite out-shooting the Bald Eagles 7-0.

Lock Haven would tied the match early in the second half.

Haylea Myers weaved her way through a pair of Gannon defenders to score the equalizer 7:05 into the second half, but it was all Gannon after that.

Putnam’s go ahead goal was followed 52 seconds later by Genetin’s second goal of the game that found the far post to give Gannon a 3-1 lead and some breathing room.

Gannon out-shot Lock Haven (1-4, 1-4 PSAC) 13-2, while junior Shannon Differ had one save, improving to 6-0 in goal.

Genetin jumped to seventh in all-time career points at Gannon with 50. She currently sits at sixth in all-time goals with 21.

Gannon returns to McConnell Family Stadium to begin a three-game homestand at 2 p.m. Wednesday against Kutztown, before hosting Millersville Saturday and Slippery Rock Tuesday. Games times are at 5 p.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Tuesday.

NSCAA D-II Top 25

1. Central Missouri
  2. Quincy
  3. North Georgia
  4. Gannon
  5. Western Washington
  6. Bridgeport
  7. Angelo State
  8. Grand Valley State
  9. Saint Rose
  10. Rollins

Atlantic Region Rankings

1. Gannon
  2. West Virginia Wesleyan
  3. California
  4. Edinboro
  5. West Chester

DOMINIC SANSONE