Gannon hosts Cheyney Saturday

Football Preview

Cheyney Wolves (0-1)
at Gannon Golden Knights (1-0)

When: Noon Saturday
Where: Gannon University Field (2,500)
Radio: Jet Radio 1400 AM

Gannon returns home Saturday when the Knights host Cheyney at Gannon University Field at noon. Gannon leads the all-time series (3-0) against Cheyney. Gannon shut out the Wolves 48-0 on the road last year.
The Knights are coming off a 26-22 season-opening road victory against Southern Connecticut State on Saturday, while Cheyney lost 29-22 to Lincoln.
Cheyney got some national attention Saturday morning when Rece Davis, the new host of ESPN’s “College Gameday,” pulled out a $100 bill and asked the crew who currently has the longest losing streak in all of college football? The answer — Cheyney with 33.
Gannon coach Brad Rzyczycki said he doesn’t think there will be a lack of motivation with his players heading into Saturday’s game against a struggling Cheyney team.
“I have a very mature group,” Rzyczycki said.“I don’t have to babysit these kids – they’re not high maintenance. I would expect them to come out [ready].”
Senior quarterback Liam Nadler said coming out strong is key to Saturday’s contest.
“We didn’t come off firing last week — we have more motivation to absolutely dominate on all aspects of the game,” he said.“I think people are excited to showcase their skills and to show how good of an offense we are, how good of a defense we are and not to mention it’s the home opener, so it’s always exciting.”

Scouting the Wolves — The Wolves look to rebuild after going 0-11 and finishing the 2014 season with the worst record in the PSAC.
Cheyney hasn’t had a winning season since 1990 and has struggled to get wins since the program’s inception, going 92-481-5 all-time.
Sophomores Dominick Trautz and Anwar Mathis have spent the offseason battling for the quarterback position, but new head coach Chris Roulhac expects both to receive playing time this season.
The Wolves will run some option, but will show more of a multiple set on offense.
On defense Cheyney will keep much of the same style, as Roulhac served as the defensive coordinator the past couple of seasons. But the Wolves will need to find a way to stop Brock Jones and the Gannon run if they want to have any success Saturday.
The Wolves gave up an average of 215 yards per game last season, ranking them second-to-last in the PSAC.
Jones led the PSAC with 1,628 yards last season helping the Knights lead the league with 239.6 yards per game last season.

DOMINIC SANSONE