The road of indecision leads somewhere, right?

The past month has been a thrill ride of scheduling nightmares, wedding talk and the usual pervading question of what I actually want to do with my life.  Maybe if I enjoyed rollercoasters I’d be more content with that thought.

I used up a column listing all the problems with scheduling as a medtech major last semester, so I’ll try to keep this short. The most trouble I had was when the only science class I needed next semester was closed by the time I was scheduled to register.

I don’t see why this small of a program – there are only three of us – doesn’t get the “pre-med” treatment if the university expects us to take pre-med courses.

We should be permitted early registration times to avoid too much hoop-jumping.  Thankfully, about a week and 50 emails later, I was given permission to take the class I needed.

Since I’ve been tossing around the idea of dropping said program since February, the registration issues almost felt like an extra nudge to think on it more seriously.  I am.  My 17-year-old sister has also been doing some serious thinking lately.

Carly got engaged to her fiancé in March and is trying to plan a wedding for the fall.  I can barely wrap my head around it since I don’t know what classes I’m taking next year, let alone who I want to spend my life with.

One of my mom’s friends pointed out that I’m allowed to be indecisive at 20, so I guess it’s OK.  I suppose my sister and I are having the same problem, just with different concepts.  She’ll worry about the reception tablecloths matching her wedding dress and I can worry about getting appointments with my chemistry tutor.

Stress is one of those things that doesn’t take days off.  What matters is how you handle it.  I can’t speak for my own sanity, but I’ve heard exercise and time management help some people.

My adviser gave me similar advice when I started worrying my grades weren’t going to make the cut for my hospital rotation senior year.  I’ve been through a dozen different options since.

Since my schedule has always been dominated by science prerequisites, it seems more logical to stick with biology.

I could get a BS and spend more money on grad school to end up somewhere like a hospital lab, which was the original plan.  Someone else suggested I try my luck at the PCAT test for pharmacy and after gauging the grade, apply to pharmacy school and carry on the family business.

In the opposite direction, I was tempted to throw the science out the window and do something with writing.  I thought about taking up English and using my science credits as a biology minor or fill elective credits.

At this point, I’d rather just take up a job at my local library and make book suggestions to kids.  My very credible 13-year-old sister said I’d make an awesome librarian.

I’ve also considered being a Wal-Mart greeter, or even an Avon representative, provided I’d get to meet Edward Scissorhands at some point.  All I can say is Dawn Anderson was wise to say indecision is characteristic of college sophomores.