Students hibernate for winter break

Since we talked about finals week in the last issue, this week we’ll talk about what students, and some professors, are actually looking forward to this time of year: break!

This year’s winter break gives Gannon a three-week resting period to celebrate the holiday season, spend some time with family and friends, and not think too much about school for a little bit.

Breaks allow students to do some things that they don’t often get to do during the school year, such as relax, sleep, maintain a healthy diet and have hobbies and interests. They get the opportunity to relieve their stress for a bit before they go back to the lives they have at school.

Winter break is probably the students’ second favorite break, first being summer, because even though some of us will work every single day, we generally get to come home, read a book, watch TV, go out on the weekends and be in an overall better mood.

Those who are graduating this year will more than likely be experiencing the final winter break they’ll have for a while – assuming they don’t go into teaching.

So seniors, even though your first course of action may be to relentlessly look for jobs, because you’ll have the time to do it now, remember that this may be one of the last times that you get to relax for an extended period of time.

Sure, when you actually start working, you may be able to just go home, read, surf the Internet or whatever you want to do, but those sessions never last for three weeks.

I’m not saying you need to do absolutely nothing this break, but take time out of your day to just relax and not worry about anything.