Fans of long-running TV show want their life back

Today, I’m going to tell you the story about how I hated the series finale of one of my favorite television shows.

Last week, “How I Met Your Mother” ended with the finale of its ninth season. A few summers ago, I decided to binge watch the series on Netflix and I fell in love. I loved the writing, the characters, the humor and the overall idea of the story.

For those of you who haven’t watched the series, it basically follows the story of Ted Mosby telling his children how he met their mother. He does this through a plethora of stories about him and his friends Lily, Marshall, Barney and Robin.

For the longest time, almost to the ninth season of the show, no one had even seen the mother, let alone met her. However, Ted would throw in little side stories about the kids’ mother throughout the series.

Finally, in the show’s last season, viewers got to know a little bit about the mother in order to prepare to fall in love with her when Ted finally did. So last week, when I was watching the series finale, I was hoping that once the show was done, I would give it a standing ovation.

Unfortunately, that’s not exactly what my reaction was. I absolutely hated the series finale and I’m actually still pretty angry about it.

Almost everything that was building up to this episode fell to pieces. I’m not going to give anything away, but the show’s writers took years of character development and the fans’ expectations and flushed them down the toilet.

It was as if even though some of the characters went through so many good, mature changes over the course of the nine years of this series, none of that even mattered anymore and they just ended up like the characters they were in the first few seasons.

The series finale was not fair to the fans or to the beloved storyline.

And the worst part about all of this was that most of what the writers did with the series finale didn’t even make sense.  It seemed as though the writers just did whatever they could to get the desired ending whether or not it made sense with what had been happening for the previous nine seasons.

It’s just such a disappointment, because many people have been watching the show for years, devoting so much of their time to following the lives of these fictional characters and rooting for everything to work out the way they want it to and then they get an ending that is so freaking nonsensical; it’s difficult to describe.

I honestly wish it were possible to just change the things I didn’t like in the last episode, because I did like some aspects of the finale, but I really just hated about 50 percent of it.

On a grading scale, that would be an F. Whoever had the idea to write this final episode gets an F.

As you can see, I’m still a little bitter about the ending of this show, which is why I waited a week to write about it. I know I really can’t do much about the ending, but my message to anyone who wants to go into some sort of fictional writing is: don’t ruin the things your fans love.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI