Cliché role models reflect editor’s lifestyle

I’ve always been asked who my role model is, and my response was “I don’t have one.” As I grow older, I realize that my role models are right in front of me.

Sure, a role model can be a celebrity, a politician, a writer, a professor, but my role models hit close to home – my mother and two older brothers.

I was blessed to be the youngest and therefore gaining characteristics from three important people in my life.

They taught me to live to the fullest, make mistakes, but learn from them, always try my hardest and love like there’s no tomorrow.

My mother is who I thank for everything. If it wasn’t for her hard work, encouragement and drive, my brothers and I wouldn’t be who we are today.

She has shown me how to overcome any struggle that will interfere with happiness. It’s true that the strongest bond that you encounter is between a child and his/her parent.

Also, my mother has so much love to offer. She ends everything with a hug – even if I’m going to the bathroom. She was born to be a mother.

My oldest brother – Daniel – has always been the most ambitious. Daniel is one-of-a-kind to me. He is a dreamer and that is one of his finest qualities. He has the weirdest, driest sense of humor and I love it.

He has also been a father figure in my life. While he’s scolding me for many of the teenage mistakes I have made, he was also, in some way, pushing me to have as much fun as possible while I’m young.

Sean, my older brother, has a strong exterior, but a soft interior – which most would never know.

From Sean, I have learned to always show confidence, especially when I’m lacking it the most. You should never show your weaknesses to anyone you don’t know.

Sean, too, is a father figure in my life. He is the sensible Langham child and is not afraid of tough love. He has made me realize that I have to work hard to get where I want to be and I can’t always take the easy way out.

I’m always told how lucky I am to have older brothers because they are my protectors and they definitely are. As much as we bicker, we will always be behind each other.

Role models are important to everyone. They help set your values – good or bad.

From my mother, Daniel and Sean I have learned motivation, values, passion and self-discipline. With them by my side, I can get one step closer to my dreams.

You don’t notice others’ impact on you until you start seeing them in yourself.

I see a little bit of all of them in me. I have my mother’s lovingness, Daniel’s big dreaming and Sean’s confidence.

COLLEEN LANGHAM