Irish culture boasts more than alcohol

Aside from weekends, students get 11 days of vacation in the spring semester.

Some argue one or two should be added. Particularly, March 17 and/or 18, some would say, should be recognized as official holidays on campus and – perhaps – across the United States. Since this request is most likely not getting granted, some people – particularly students – self-appoint these days as optional.

As students bid spring break farewell with tearful eyes, they gear up to greet a day they hold so dear – St. Patrick’s Day, Monday this year.

A little background.

St. Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of St. Patrick, is a cultural and religious holiday celebrated annually on March 17, the death date of the most commonly recognized patron saint of Ireland. It became an official Christian holiday in the 17th century and celebrates the Irish culture and heritage.

The Irish may be known for drinking, but they’re known for a lot more. Ireland is a country full of traditions and culture ranging from folkloric music and performances to food, theater and literature.

But their presumed love for alcohol is what is most highlighted on March 17, a day everyone becomes Irish.

Be Irish, but please, be a safe Irish.

If you’re going to drink Monday, please keep in mind the number of alcoholic beverages you consume. Please know that your drinking doesn’t affect only yourself, but those around you, too.

Most importantly, please don’t drink and drive. Think about it now, when you’re fully sober (one can hope) – your drinking isn’t worth a human life.

If you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, please celebrate it mindfully, safely and legally.

And keep Tuesday morning in mind as you consider chugging down one more shot.