Reality television not as real as audience thinks

“Parenthood.” This is what I want to talk about – the TV show that is – and also how awful realty TV is.

There’s nothing more satisfying in life than falling in love with fictional characters. What’s even better than that is falling in love with a fictional family.

Over winter break, I came across this show on Netflix and I literally can’t stop watching it. The most depressing part is that I’m on the last season. What am I supposed to do with myself? I haven’t figured that out yet.

The characters are enticing, hilarious and more importantly, when I’m watching, I’m a part of the family.

I’ve laughed until I cried and cried until I couldn’t cry anymore – I’m not crazy I swear.

Die-hard fans of television shows will understand how I feel. Not necessarily about “Parenthood,” but about any show that they have become addicted to.

I just recently watched about three minutes of a reality TV show my roommate was watching, and it was awful. The only plot that I could get from the show was that there are a group of rich snobs and they compete to be the best of the best. My IQ also dropped five points from watching these three minutes.

The funniest thing about the concept of reality TV is that it sells.  People love to live vicariously through others, generally ones who are famous and rich.

The most talked about reality TV show that kids were obsessed with in high school was “Bad Girls Club.” If you didn’t see a fight at high school that day, you could guarantee to see roughly five fights in an episode of “Bad Girls Club.”

That show is home to the finest women in the United States. They are all sloppy, disrespectful, immature and uneducated. I’m not sure how stuff like this gets on TV, but it works. Audiences love it.

I forgot to mention another show that portrays women in a terrible fashion – “Secret Life of the American Teenager.”

Apparently, a teenage girl goes to high school and has sex one time with an upperclassman “badass” and gets pregnant. Then her other friends get pregnant, she gets married to a different guy and her mom turns gay or something along those lines. If you’ve seen the show, you know what I mean about the dramatization.

Sorry, “Secret Life of the American Teenager,” “Mean Girls” already taught us about pregnancy with the infamous line, “Don’t have sex, because you will get pregnant and die” Thank you, Tina Fey.

All I ask for is more seasons of “Parenthood” or maybe just more shows like it. It shows real-life situations and how family members will always have each other’s back and also portrays women as independent and strong, like we are – or most.

COLLEEN LANGHAM