NFL player’s rant after win causes shock, backlash

On Sunday, I watched parts of the AFC and NFL championship games to see who would make it to the Super Bowl. I’m a huge Peyton Manning fan so I was ecstatic when Denver beat New England. I was rather indifferent about the Seattle vs. San Francisco game.

However, what stuck out to me, as I am sure to the rest of America as well, was the interview that Richard Sherman gave to reporter Erin Andrews after the Seattle Seahawks won.

When Andrews asked Sherman to take her through the process of that play, this was his response: “I’m the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree this is the result you are going to get. Don’t ever talk about me.”

Obviously a bit shocked by the outrage, Andrews asked him, “Who was talking about you?” to which Sherman responded “Crabtree. Don’t you open your mouth about the best, or I’m going to shut it for you real quick.”

This interview is all over the Internet with many people sounding off on Sherman. I understand that mind games are part of the game but I find Sherman’s comments completely ridiculous.

I don’t pay much attention to football stats, so I cannot comment on whether Sherman is, as he put it, the best in the league. And if he is, I congratulate him. That is an honor and yes, he should be proud.

However, there are classy ways of saying things and his response is not one of them. Not only is it rude, it just makes him look like a jerk, to say the least.

If you make a great play, regardless of what sport it is, that’s fine but don’t be rude about it. It really ruins it for the fans. I also believe it is immature. It’s OK to be excited and proud but that doesn’t mean someone should be rude to other people over it.

To me though, what is most upsetting is that young kids especially look up to professional athletes as role models. What kind of role model is Sherman after those comments? He may be a great player but he has a pretty sour attitude.

After the interview, my sister made a comment that it’s people like Sherman who make her not want to watch football. And I totally understand. There are plenty of people in different sports who act just like Sherman, but you can really see it in football with the over-celebration after a player makes a touchdown. After a while, it’s obnoxious, not to mention disrespectful to the other team. I understand that football is a game, but that doesn’t mean players have to be idiots.

While I definitely don’t think making comments like Sherman’s will stop, I hope other players learn that it really hurts a person’s reputation. Make a great play and celebrate graciously. Here’s to wishing the Broncos good luck and hopefully to win the Super Bowl.

SAMMIE JANIK