Try to stay sane, reduce stress during finals week

No matter how well a semester has been going, the end of the year is always the toughest to get through. Even though we’ve been in school since the end of August, the last few weeks of school are without a doubt the most stressful time.

All the work of the semester begins to pile on and students are swamped with research papers and copious amounts of homework and studying. And it really doesn’t get any easier with age; as a junior, I feel even more stressed out than I normally do.

While we may not be able to control the amount of work we have to do, it is up to us to remain healthy. It is totally impossible to not be stressed out from now until Christmas break, but there are ways to try and lessen it.

First, make a list of all the assignments due with the dates right next to them. For me, this is key because it helps me figure out what exactly I need to do and this way, I know how much time I have.

I know for a fact if I don’t write something down, with all my assignments coming up, I will without a doubt forget something. But with my handy dandy list, I can easily refer to it and keep up-to-date on assignments.

Second, spread things out. Don’t try and do every thing in one, or even two, nights. Things take time. We’ve worked so hard this semester so don’t throw it away at the end. It’s a marathon, not a sprint so take your time and make sure to give equal amounts of time and effort for each assignment.

Third, carry water with you at all times. Staying hydrated is essential, especially during the chilly months. Not only will drinking water help your skin, it will also keep you hydrated to do all the needed assignments. I’m not saying no to coffee either. Just make sure to bring your water with you on your Starbucks run.

Stay motivated and keep your eye on the prize. Not only is Christmas break an amazing motivation but finishing off the semester with a bang helps as well. Just think – we’ve been in school for about four months and we’ve been working extremely hard. In a few weeks, we’ll be able to go home and sleep in all we want for almost a whole month.

That sounds pretty darn lovely to me. So finish out the semester strong, and we will have more relaxation time than we know what to do with.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to take breaks. If you take a little 15-20 minute break every now and then, that will help you more than you think. Don’t overkill and try to do everything all at once. Not only will you stress more, but it won’t be your best work.

If all else fails, surround yourself with food, friends and maybe a call or two from mom. Good luck, happy studying and enjoy your Christmas break.

SAMMIE JANIK