It’s nice to give people gifts, but focus on giving them

It’s just about time to talk about the thing that’s on everyone’s mind: Christmas.

I know that everyone is worrying about finals now that they’re closing in on us, but I like to see the world with a pair of rose-colored glasses and am choosing to focus on the happy things.

Now that we’re all done with our Black Friday/Cyber Monday escapades, most of us are either mostly done shopping or not even thinking about it and waiting until the last minute. I’m somewhere in the middle.

Sometimes, it just goes to show that you don’t know how many important people are in your life until you want to buy presents for all of them.

I feel like I got a lot of things over break for some of the friends and family I have. But even looking at all of the stuff I bought, it all looks too small to suffice as gifts.

So now I’m running around trying to figure out what else I should buy for everyone I want to give presents to. The problem, though, isn’t deciding what to get. The problem is affording it.

If I could get everything I wanted to buy for my friends and family this year, I really wouldn’t be having this problem. But the problem is, I see the price of an item – or the price of shipping – and that generally deters me from getting it because it’s a lot of money spent.

And a lot of the sales last weekend were pretty nice, but with some of them you had to spend a certain amount of money before you could even get a good deal – or free shipping.

So because of that, I’ve been worried about whether I’m going to be able to afford everything I want to get for my friends, let alone get them things that they actually want. And honestly, I think that stresses people out probably more than it should.

I know that when I was a little kid, I had a specific list of different toys and games I wanted and depending on the year, I usually got it. But now my Christmas list is significantly shorter, and I want to be able to give other people gifts and have them like them.

It isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I mean wanting to give is what’s considered to be in the spirit of Christmas, but you shouldn’t feel like you need to give certain things to people or they won’t be happy.

Christmas isn’t supposed to be about giving people things to make them happy. It should be more about spending time with the people you care about and showing them that you want to be with them and that you care about them.

Even if you can’t get your friends and family exactly what they want, I’m sure they’ll appreciate that you thought of them and tried to do something nice for them.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI