Give up sleep, composure to save on Christmas shopping

It’s just about time for people to prepare for one of the most cherished and celebrated holidays across the nation: Black Friday.

Year after year,  everyone from moms trying to get a head start on Christmas shopping to college kids who want to save a few bucks give up sleep to score the best deals they can and try not to get trampled to death.

The spirit of Black Friday used to entail waking up at around 3 a.m. to get to the store and puppy-guard the items you wanted most, such as the $10 vacuum cleaner, and then attempt to go get the rest of what’s on your Christmas list and make sure no one takes anything out of your cart.

The latter half of the tradition is still true, but now stores are starting to have “Black Friday” sales on Thursday night.

Now, shopping in stores generally consists of arriving at 7 p.m., grabbing all of the stuff you want when the sale starts at 8, waiting until 10 p.m. when more things go on sale and so on until you end up going home to sleep. Then you wake up again at 3 a.m. and celebrate the original Black Friday.

Personally, I find this process way too tiring and I do not have the patience nor the adrenaline to be able to do that without either ending up with nothing or getting bored with the stores my mom likes to go to.

Because we are in the age of the future, I’ve decided to celebrate Black Friday in the wonderful world of online shopping.

Now that many stores have decided to take their deals to the information super highway, one can go Black Friday shopping from the convenience of his/her own home.

This is almost more efficient as long as you’re willing to pay for shipping, but to be fair you’ll probably end up spending the same amount of money on gas, if not more.

Plus, you get the benefit of not being emotionally traumatized by people either trampling you or fighting you for a pair of shoes that are 80 percent off. The worst thing that could happen is your dog jumping in your lap and wanting attention while you’re entering your card number.

I really don’t understand why more people don’t do the same thing – although I’m glad more people don’t do it because it would be more difficult to buy things before they sell out.

In all honesty, I may end up being dragged out shopping with my mom in hopes that I won’t be bored to tears at home when I’m done buying everything I think I’ll want, but the chances of that happening are skewed at this point in time.

I hope everyone who decides to go Black Friday shopping this year has an excellent time and gets almost everything they want and don’t fall asleep at the cart. Also, I hope those people who decide to value their limbs and sleep enjoy sleeping in and not stressing out about the sales they missed by 10 minutes.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI