Embrace things, quirks that make you unique

This weekend, my boyfriend called me “weird” at least seven times. And I’m actually quite used to it.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary website, weird is defined as “of strange and unusual character; odd or fantastic.”

I’m not easily offended and I know he doesn’t mean it in a rude way, so it doesn’t bother me in the least. But I think it’s weird funny that at different stages of our lives, the word means totally different things to us.

When I was in elementary and middle school, if someone was called weird it was like a death sentence. No one wanted to be the weird kid because you’d be left out of everything. Weird had an incredibly negative connotation.

During those years, everyone is trying to fit in. You don’t want to stand out for fear of rejection. And I would venture a guess that for many people, that’s how they felt about high school; but not always.

I went to an all-girls Catholic high school (and survived! Shocking, I know). I have to say that people were extremely comfortable being themselves and everyone in my grade got along.

It was nice to be able to show up to school and be myself. Not everyone gets that, so I feel fortunate because it helped discover who I am and who I want to be.

Now, if someone calls me weird, it really has no effect on me. Sometimes, I take it as a compliment. To me, being weird or “unusual” means there is no one else like me. And that’s not all that bad, is it?

It’s OK to be a little weird and I think we all are to an extent. Each of us has little quirks that make us who we are.

For instance, if you’ve read my column previously, you’ll know that I’m obsessed with “Harry Potter” and I love “Pocahontas.”

I have a mild crush on F. Scott Fitzgerald. “The Great Gatsby” is by far one of my favorite books. I actually have a scarf that has the last page from the book printed on it. I wear it regularly.

I also have jam sessions to various Celine Dion songs and “If I Could Turn Back Time” by Cher. I like to listen to them when I am getting ready and on full blast. If you haven’t, you should seriously consider it.

There is a great quote by Jim Morrison that states, “Where is your will to be weird?” I think that is something we could all benefit from.

Don’t be afraid to be weird and a little different from everyone else. It’s refreshing to meet people who are so fearlessly unique and who don’t care what people think of them.

Don’t feel like you have to justify things you like or how you like to spend your time. My parents always encouraged me to be myself and do what I love.

I think that’s an important thing to remember, especially during our college years. This is our time to discover ourselves.

So don’t be afraid to be weird. Because underneath it all, we are all a little strange.

SAMMIE JANIK